• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Skyrim: losing monitor signal when tweaking skyrimprefs.ini

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Faye

Registered
Greetings, sons and daughters of Skyrim.

I'm trying to tweak my skyrimprefs.ini to - once and for all - get Skyrim's shadows' edges look smooth and non-jagged. Or at least I'm trying to see if it's even possible. But I have a bit of a problem.

Changing iShadowMapResolution to 4096 helped just a little bit, but not much. I then combined iBlurDeferredShadowMask=32 with iShadowMapResolution=8192 (which has apparently been declared as a confirmed fix, discussed on various forums and tweaking articles, for example here (scroll to bottom of page)).

Anyway, I tried that and the shadows finally looked like real shadows, with smooth edges with a hint of blurriness. FPS stayed nicely at ~60 when moving around, so I thought it was permanently fixed. But apparently not. After around 30 seconds of playing my FPS suddenly drops from 60 to ~5, where it stays for another few seconds and then suddenly my monitor loses signal. Signal automatically returns after a second or two, and then the game continues with FPS at 60 like nothing happened. Another 30 seconds and the signal reboots again. And so on.

The FPS drops to 5 whatever I do, even just standing against a wall doing nothing (both inside and outside).

I tried with all external mods disabled, but it didn't change the situation.

Would anyone have a hunch of what might be the culprit? Assuming this tweak has worked for other people, without any issues.

My specs:

GTX 580 Matrix Platinum (1.5 GB) (~70-75°C in Skyrim)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
i5 750 @~3.4Ghz
Corsair PSU 750W

My first thought was that it might be some kind of power issue. But I don't know. I've never experienced monitor signal loss before, in the middle of a game. Also, I'm not very experienced with solving GPU problems. I haven't touched the voltages (or anything else) on my 580... so does this problem perhaps indicate that I should? :p

Thanks in advance!

Back