• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Location and Radiator Screws

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomofnight

Hey everyone. I'm still in the planning phase of my build, and have a couple of concerns. The first is that I have a small-ish case. I was planning on using a single MCP35X pump with integrated reservoir, but not sure where I would put it in my case. This makes me want to lean toward a Swiftech Maelstrom, being fully aware of the added time for bleeding and hassle of filling. My main concern if I go with the regular pump and res-top is how to mount it somewhere.

The other thing I wanted to ask about was radiator screws and gaskets. I see screws on frozencpu, but not performance PCs. Now, I'm sure I can pick up some screws at the local big name hardware store, and I realize that there is some hazard of screws being too long, so that's why I want to ask what everyone else is using. Right now I'm planning on XPSC RX360 rad and AP-15 fans. Also, is there any point in using a gasket? I seems like a waste of money to me. I don't know. Let me know what you all think. Many thanks.

Last edited:
too long of screws and you will puncture the water tubes inside the rad. cant really comment on the rest as im not sure.

PPCS has screws just gotta look for them I'll see if I can find it for ya.

gaskets basically offer a rubber layer between the rad/fan and case to offer noise reduction. If your rad doesnt come with them dont sweat it as most cant tell a difference using them or not.

Screws are normally (if using 25mm fans) 30mm for fan to rad only or 35mm for a fan/rad case

UNDER DYI

too long of screws and you will puncture the water tubes inside the rad. cant really comment on the rest as im not sure.

Thank you. I figured that. A little bit of math should help me prevent that.

PPCS has screws just gotta look for them I'll see if I can find it for ya.

gaskets basically offer a rubber layer between the rad/fan and case to offer noise reduction. If your rad doesnt come with them dont sweat it as most cant tell a difference using them or not.

Screws are normally (if using 25mm fans) 30mm for fan to rad only or 35mm for a fan/rad case

UNDER DYI

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I did a few searches for screws before, but didn't come up with what I was looking for. Looks like I should have tried something different. Oh well. I would have never thought to look under the DIY section. Also, in regards to the gasket, that's the information I needed.

Radiators usually include screws for 120x25mm fans.

Thanks! I didn't know that. Probably saved me some money there.

does that case have room at the top? for a 360? i see two 140's up top, why not a 140x2? is the plan to internally mount the radiator, or outside? do you have a picture of YOUR case with all the other stuff already inside? ((<-- that'd give us an idea of room to work with))

Yup, I can confirm it does. I am using that radiator.

Sweet action. Thank you.

does that case have room at the top? for a 360? i see two 140's up top, why not a 140x2? is the plan to internally mount the radiator, or outside? do you have a picture of YOUR case with all the other stuff already inside? ((<-- that'd give us an idea of room to work with))

My plan is to externally mount it. Actually, I'm still working out the particulars on it, but I'm going to be cutting a slot out on the back of my desk for the fans and essentially mounting the radiator against the back of the desk. In my original build plan, I was going with 140's, but found I had way to much rad, reviews and comparisons were harder to find (as compared to the numerous articles for 120mm fans), and finding fan reviews were more difficult. With 120's, there are a few well known, well trusted fans. For 140...not so much. Really, what it boils down to is ease of information. As for pictures, I'm not going to be able to post them. My computer is in storage, and I'm overseas. This is going to be a project when I get back.

Back