• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 670 memory very low...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Hello again guys.. Back with another video card question.
I read on www.http:legitreviews.com/article/1925/15/ that they are achieving a core clock of 1097mhz and 6264 memory.
How is this even possible? I'm getting 1293mhz core clock and only 3029mhz of memory. How are they getting the memory so high?

My 3dmark 11 score is as follows:
Score: P10106
Graphics score: 10410
Physics score: 10075
Combined score: 8322

I'm using EVGA Precision, EVGA OC Scanner, and GPU-Z.

So how can I raise my memory up by 3000mhz? :confused:

They are using speeds based on a different clock than you are. GDDR5 has two different clocks, CK and WCK. WCK run at twice the speed as CK, and then you get the DDR's double data rate as well.

So their 6264MHz (WCK + DDR) is 1566MHz (CK) in GPU-Z or 3132MHz (CK + DDR) when compared to your 3029MHz (CK + DDR).

Last edited:
Just double your 3029MHz to get clocks based on WCK. So you are running 6058MHz compared to their 6264MHz.

Without considering DDR:
Base frequency = CK
WCK = 2*CK

Considering DDR (multiply everything by 2):
2*Base frequency = 2*CK
2*WCK = 2*2*CK = 4*CK

You dont. Just as you dont change your system memory to 1600Mhz...(it runs at 800MHz). Its just the Double Data Rate. Your ACTUAL speed is 3029Mhz, but your Double Data Rate is 6158.

^^+1

Simply, GDDR5 effective clock = baseclock x 4

This is why they say 6264mhz EFFECTIVE clock, but the "real" clock is not 6264mhz.

If you OC your memory to ~1500mhz on your OC tool, you in fact run at ~6000mhz effective GDDR5.

This is a shot from a MSI GTX 670 Power Edition Twin Frozr IV 2 GB, from techpowerup.
gpuz_oc.gif

I would use base frequency when determining how much further you need to OC.

Their base is 1566MHz, and yours is 1514.5MHz, so you need to OC 51.5MHz higher.

Funny, I just set the memory offset oc to 206 and no artifacts, no crashing. Maybe I'll just stay here..?

I like OCCT and the "GPU error check" mode to test my memory OC on GPU. You can move your memory slider in MSI AB and click apply while the test run. As soon as you go to far, error occur and the bench count them. Just move your memory clock a little bit lower, let it run an hour or two and if there is no error, you can call it a day :)

Funny, I just set the memory offset oc to 206 and no artifacts, no crashing. Maybe I'll just stay here..?
Did you test it or are you sitting on the desktop? Try playing a game or something to stress the GPU.

Make sure you are looking at GPUz to see your clocks against the +XXX that precision uses. :thup:

Back