• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED M5a97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zenos

So I want to milk the very last performance I can out of this 8120, working out my water cooling parts right now and I just want to know if the M5a97 would be able to run a clock of 4.8ghz or so?

Not likely at all. Perhaps you should take watercooling setup money and buy a proper board for the task. The VRM on the M5A97 won't be up to the task and that will result in bluescreens when the 8120 starts to draw more than the board can deal with. There were a few threads with people trying to do this a little while ago and the issue is that the 8120 will be approaching or over 300w at that point and the M5A97 is running out of breath around 200w or less(my M5A97 starts dropping the ball right around 180w).

Edit: For clarity we're talking about a board like the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 being a bare minimum board with the UD5 and UD7 versions, or a Crosshair V or Sabretooth being preferable to name a few. $80 motherboards and Bulldozer don't mix well for overclocking.

Last edited:
So I want to milk the very last performance I can out of this 8120, working out my water cooling parts right now and I just want to know if the M5a97 would be able to run a clock of 4.8ghz or so?

I don't think you missed it since he said 4.8Ghz or so and never had said 3.7Ghz until today.
RGone...

Back