• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Not compatible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

backups

Registered
Hi. First of all thank you for taking your time reading this. Basicly for the past 2 days I've been searching for a good video recording program so I could record my games went trough fraps, xsplit, msi afterburner and finally dxtory. After messing a bit with dxtory I decided to use the lagarith lossless codec. The quality is fantastic, just completely flawless and I don't mind the size since I'm gonna be editing it and rendering it later on anyways.

The problem here is that for some reason sony vegas 12 doesnt want to open the file even tough the format is AVI. Can anyone give me an explanation why this happens and how can I fix it?

Once again thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forums. File extension may not be the best way to tell what kind of a file it is.

Some software may auto-detect and play a media file regardless of its extension. Use freeware like http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en to first find out what kind of file it is. Then see Sony Vegas compatibility issues with that file type.

First of all I'd like to apologize if it seems like I was lazy but I actualy searched for almost 6 hours on the internet looking for solutions and I even posted in several other technical forums but I guess I didn't use the right keywords while performing my search. I tought the problem was codec related and since the codec I used was lagarith lossless codec that's the one I downloaded but it didn't do anything so I just assumed it was another issue not related to codecs.

Moving on from there the youtube link you sent helped me fixing my issue. I already had 2 of the codecs that were adressed there I just had to download the other 2 and eventualy one of them worked and I managed to get my video onto sony vegas in a couple of minutes with ease.

Also in a somewhat related question which programs would you consider to be the best at recording? Using dxtory and lagarith lossless codec I got flawless quality and very low fps drops at cost of file size which is something that doesn't bother me anyways but it's always good to be open minded to other programs because in a near future they could come in handy.

Thank you very much for your time and thanks for helping me with this issue.

@ "backups". In no way do I consider myself anything even remotely approaching someone to ask about video recording even of a game which is what you seem to do a lot. Part of the problem for me is the hype that surrounds the applications. An Idiot can use it. Well if an idiot can use it, why does it take "me" so long to come to grips with the application? Hehehe.

AVI recording is not actually a video format at all but a file wrapper to contain audio and video coded by a codec as I understand it. Usually but not always recorded in a manner that applies next to NO compression of the data being recorded. Thus the file size of an AVI recording is normally pretty darn large. Because the recorded AVI is utilizing such low compression it is normally considered the best recording IF you intend to do major editting of the video that is recorded.

NOTE: there are now codecs that can record into the AVI format that can use compression and make the resulting AVI file much smaller than previously was the situation.

Because I am not really a gamer and doubt I would record my lackluster activity anyway, but rather gather family made videos from all over and put them together, my needs are somewhat different than your needs are. So I did a little more of my fair g00gling and found that there are a pretty good number of trial versions of 'for pay' programs that can save in a variety of formats and thus a smaller overall file size.

computer game recording software << was my search string in g00gle and the hits are many.

That first hit "Bandicam" can save to a number of file formats including MPEG which can make a much smaller file size. I made NO effort to look at every recorder listed since I have found what suits an idiot like me seldom works for anyone else.

Put the best way I know how to say it is that if you don't really Edit the recording, then find some recorder that saves to a smaller file size ready to be uploaded if that is what you do. A for pay recorders might do that better than the free stuff we all seek after. There are some things I try and buy and there are other things that even free for use, I delete from my hard drive. Try a couple of the "trials" and see if they might suit you better and when installed is when you 'really' get to see what formats can be used 'during' the recording.
RGone...

yea I do intend to do some editing with the videos I'm making so 4gbs per 1 minute isn't an issue for me I guess I'll stick with dxtory for now I actualy had checked bandicam and saw some good quality videos with it because when you intend to upload to youtube you're gonna have to render it into a smaller size like the x264 codecs but since I'm gonna edit some stuff first I'll be picking quality over compression and later on render it to something smaller.

Thanks a lot for your toughts and suggestions and also once again thank you for helping me getting the video to open in sony vegas.

Back