• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it a Contender?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
Can the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional push AMD FX 6 core and 8 core processors close to the way my CHV does? That is the question.

A respected member of the forum loaned out his Fatal1ty board and an FX-6300 cpu to put under my water block to see what would happen since he is hard pressed getting ready for his busiest season of the year. Thank you, C_D.

Okay just to sort of whet one's appetite and get the main thing he wanted me to do out of the way. That is to pour the coals to it and see if it would even get into winders at 5.5GHz. You will just have to wait and see.

I am going to try and get some decent bios pics and now that the moon-shots are out of the way, will resort back to my more logical style of benchmarking this board and cpu just as I have done my CHV and FX-8350.

Since this is really as much about the board as anything, I am putting this thread in the AMD motherboard section and not the cpu section. The FX-6300 is fast but oh how much more Vcore this one takes than my FX-8350. I think AMD has their cpu binning down to a science now for sure.

It is not a bad looking board to my eye but I sort of like reds and maroonish colors so it was not difficult to get my head around the thing and mount her up to the bench.

EDIT:
Post #3 and Post #4 below in thread have information added to them now.
END EDIT.

EDIT:
I added a chart comparing the Vcore needed between an FX-6300 and my FX-8350 CPU.
END EDIT.

EDIT:

Posted up some stress testing to check out stability and posted them at this link.

END EDIT.

LINK to Vcore comparison between an FX-6300 and my FX-8350.

EDIT:
I said that any additional charts or captures would be updated and location shown from this first post of the thread. Here are new uploads with captures of the benches I ran thru.

Round-up of images and results for my FX-8350 on loaner Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard. Cinebench R 11.5 and 3D06 CPU Test Only...

END EDIT.

Top View FatLady.jpg

Plenty of geewhizzes to plug stuff into it seems.

I_O View FatLady.jpg

So will reserve a few pages to see how it all goes.
RGone...

EDIT ADD BIOS PICS. Actual Pics of bios setting at 4.6Ghz used during testing. One pic shown...the rest in the Spoiler. Click the Spoiler to view.
1.jpg

Sample of White on Black Bios with NO "john" picture. Another sample in Spoiler.

1_Black.jpg

Last edited:
FatLady #2

Reserved FatLady 2.

I had orders to get this thing to 5.5Ghz or bust his stuff trying. I think the capture tells it all.

1cpuz valid 5.5ghz.jpg

Now maybe we can get settled down a little and see how well she handles the longer haul. Maybe the voltage can settle downward a good bit too. Hehehe.
RGone...:bang head:bump:

Last edited:
FatLady #3

Reserved FatLady 3.

Okay trying to get this posted and get a nap before I have to do some real work. Hehehe.

Got the Cinebench scores tabulated and the SShots text editted for upload. Interesting is the fact that the even numbered CPU speeds are seeming to be a sweet spot on this FX-6300 as it was with my FX-8350. Something about the even CPU Mhz for sure.

I got the the chart of percentage increase per 100Mhz finished and will post it here. Then the SShots of each of the 14 benches. One visible and the rest in a spoiler for easier browsing.

NOTE: I forgot to mention that as the cpu speed increased so did the FPS for the Video portion of Cinebench R 11.5. Not sure I had noticed that factor before but looking at the individual SShots just now I did notice it.
END EDIT.

RGone...

This is chart of Percentage increase in Cinebench R 11.5 increase per 100 Mhz.
1Chart Percentage Increase.jpg

SShot 4.1Ghz Cinebench R11.5.
4.1Ghz CineB DDR1866  FX6300.jpg

Click Spoiler to see the rest of the individual Cinebench SShots.

Last edited:
FatLady #4

Reserved FatLady 4.

I have SShots of the CPU ONLY portion of 3Dmark06 since I have noticed a few sites use that for testing CPU performance even though the Full Video testing is only using DX-9 but the test of the CPU is that...testing CPU performance.

Some pretty good performance increase as the CPU speed rises. Very similar to that shown with Cinebench R 11.5 and its' CPU test bench.

4.1Ghz 3D06 CPU DDR1866  FX6300.jpg

Click spoiler to see the other 13 captures.

Last edited:
FatLady #5

Reserved FatLady 5.

Took a little time and went back over my captures of the FX-8350 for the Vcore used at each level of CPU Mhz. Made up a graphic comparing this FX-6300 Vcore used to the Vcore used for my FX-8350. Results are seen in the graphic shown below. Fairly self-explanatory where I spoke earlier of the FX-6300 seeming to need more Vcore than my FX-8350 and it does up and beyond the speeds one can normally attain with good case-cooling and High-End Air or "good" water-cooling.
RGone...

I think the chart is large enough to read easily without undue eyestrain.
Vcore Comparison.jpg

I graphed it for those that like that better.

Chart Vcore Columns.jpg

Last edited:
I love the reckless abandon vCore. I haven't gotten to that point with my FX chips(yet), but Im glad to see it being done on water. I suspect that it would not be stable in the long term due to temps even with a fantastic wterblock and pump.

Also glad to see you doing a comparison of the two boards. The Asrock fatality was on my short list when I bought the sabertooth, but couldn't get past the look of it.

My sister and her husband came thru town on the way to her in-laws and dropped my 90+ Dad off for us to watch for a few days and has put me behind. I thought I would get time to bench tonight but it has not worked out so well. Well it is working okay, not just like I had thought. Hehehe.

What amazed me was that setting the Vcore that high from bios was not a problem. You are supposed to be able to set a CHV to "extreme" Vcore mode and put more than 1.6Vcore to the cpu but so far I have found that to be false. False for me anyway.
RGone...

In order to set above 1.625 vCore on my sabertooth I had to disable vCore monitoring. Even though I had enabled all the necessary options to set the vCore it would stop me on boot and demand that I go into BIOS until I lowered the volts; until I found that option.

In order to set above 1.625 vCore on my sabertooth I had to disable vCore monitoring. Even though I had enabled all the necessary options to set the vCore it would stop me on boot and demand that I go into BIOS until I lowered the volts; until I found that option.

That sounds entirely like what I might need to do. If it does not monitor the Vcore, then it should not shout about it being to high. Thanks man. I don't really need it for my FX-8350 but to push this FX-6300 to really high speeds, it just needs a ton of volts. Will try my CHV and disable that and see. Thanks.
RGone...

Okay I am back to FX-6300 stuff and the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard test and use.

I have some good news and what I am feeling in my gut is what maybe some bad news.

Which first? Okay the good news. So far at $170.00 Retail, this FatLady board is impressing me very greatly. In a few respects it is better never to have had a CHV motherboard then you don't have to change how you do a few things.
1. The LLC works like AMD says it should work. Or it works in the opposite manner of the LLC on my CHV. If I want to let the Vcore go up on FatLady, I reduce the LLC percentage. Which is opposite to how "my" CHV works in that I increase the percentage of LLC on the CHV to get more Vcore.

2. The CHV will re-figure the Cpu speed as you increase the FSB. The FatLady will not. On the FatLady the read-out of cpu mhz is in the same menu with the location to change the mutliplier and is likely why the cpu mhz cannot update from the change of FSB. I have to calculate the new Cpu Mhz in my head. Nit-picking? Maybe. Different? Yes.

3. All considered once a few things like I mention above is understood and it has to be RE-understood for me since I have been on the Asus CHV...well us ole fahts have to re-clue our brains. Hehehe.

Now the part that I see as not so very good. C_D got this cpu and another early in the shipping of the newer FX Vishera cpus. That is usually when the best ones have been being received. He has tested this FX-6300 against another and declares without reservation that they both are 'alike'. Okay well that is that and for my money it takes way too much Vcore to make these FX-6300s to really run fast. Fast in this situation seems to be beyond 4.7Ghz.

I say 4.7Ghz because I got ticked and started benching late tonight into the next day morning. It is 2:45 AM where I am posting from. I declare AMD knows a cpu is not an FX-8350 for sure. And an FX-6300 is certainly not the big dog FX-8350 voltage requirement wise as I am experiencing. I just know that my FX-8350 takes a lot less voltage to run fast than what the two FX-6300s that C_D has will need in Vcore to haul major booty. That has thrown me for a loop sort of as I thought the FX-6300 would be the way to go for sure without getting the heat of an 8core FX. But by the time you get enough Vcore on it to try and run with the big-dog FX-8350 it would seem the temp is surely to be an issue.

I guess 4.6Ghz is enough and more than enough anyway. I am just sort of shocked.
RGone...

Last edited:
"trents" my Dad is staying with us so he does not have to travel further up into North Miss has got me still behind. I honestly don't pay any attention until I have all the benches done and am only about half done. Well from 4.7Ghz upward to 5.4Ghz are done. Maybe will get the rest done later tonight.

C_D and I were trying to guess if the FX-6300 followed my FX-8350 in percentage increase in performance and I really don't know yet. It looked as if the performance was following my FX-8350 from the quick glance I took at the results as I was capturing the screenies, but as said, I did not really log the numbers into my brain or what there is of a brain.

Maybe tonight as am fixing to shower and go and see if my Dad needs or wants to visit some place here in Jax since he has lived in New Orleans since moving there in 07 when his wife, my mother, passed. I am trying to round up some video of the Tornadoes in south MS late yesterday to take with me since someone broke into the other house where he is staying and stole my TV and other stuffs.
RGone...

I'm gland no one was hurt as a result of the break in. TVs and stuff can be replaced but people can't. Take care.

Rgone, sorry to read the bad news.
In the next package I'll send bertha or bart along.
trents had said awhile back that we need an option to the $260 chv-f-z and the $180 sabertooth that many of us have found to be the only boards for the 8 core monster cpus so i have put my money and gear up to see if we can find at least one to add to the list.
at this point we can see that it will push a 6 core right along rather well.
I can't wait till he gets the beefy 8 core on it.

trents had said awhile back that we need an option to the $260 chv-f-z and the $180 sabertooth that many of us have found to be the only boards for the 8 core monster cpus so i have put my money and gear up to see if we can find at least one to add to the list.
Indeed.

Honestly man you have put your parts, pieces and money forward for the greater good. Where most don't know it let me say thank you sir.

Honestly so far the FatLady seems far ahead of any Gigabyte board. I hear "Anonaru" and others say that getting the right combo of settings is a head banging affair at least on the UD3 type. This board is not a pain to overclock since I really do know overclock. I am not writing to someone to ask them how to overclock an Asrock Fatal1ty mobo. Heck it is only a mobo. Up mhz and voltage and cool the crap down. Hehehe.

Had I not seen the CHV and yet knew overclocking this board should be a snap to setup. I could not believe it just shoved that 1.72Vcore to the FX-6300 without a whimper. Just set it done. Oh yes the cpu warmed up but that ain't the boards fault. That is yours, C_D since it was you wanted 5.5Ghz. Hehehe.
RGone...:bang head:bump:

Rgone, sorry to read the bad news.
In the next package I'll send bertha or bart along.

Rgone you have the time invested and risk to your gear also. thank you for putting in the effort.

Bios Pictures added to bottom of Post #1. Hope to have some benches and charts up later today since it is 3:15 AM now.
RGone...

Last edited:
How many BIOS profiles can you save with that board RGone? That is one thing I have been spoiled by on my 2 Asus boards, my Asrock Extreme 4 only has 3 :(.

Back