• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random restarts with and without BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mooshie

Registered
Hello guys, i have a problem with my system.

I bought a partially new system about 6 months ago. My old parts were bought in Nov 2010.
My old parts were ASUS GTX 470, Thermaltake Litepower 700 Psu and Thermaltake Element T Case.

After buying the new system. I started having random restarts, no warnings no BSOD. Sometimes my computer
just shut itself down, didnt open for 10 min (needed to plug the psu adapter off and on). I researched a bit, asked for help in forums. And decided it was a PSU issue. And i finally bought a new Corsair CX750 750w 80+ bronze (4-5 days ago). I did the replacement myself, it seemed like the issue was fixed. But i had the issues again and again. Auto-restart on system failure was open, i turned it off so i could see BSOD. But today i had 2 new restarts, no BSOD but, when i logged on windows, i saw a warning on each, saying that "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown"

zoch2a.png.jpg

So i thought these are considered as BSOD. I will upload the dump file. And i thought i was going crazy when searching the problem. I checked almost everything. I have no temperature problems.

And most importantly, the restarts i experienced before didnt have these "unexpected shutdown" warnings. Those were just plain restarts and recorded as Event ID 6008 - "The previous shutdown at xxxx was unexpected." But these two are new, they are recorded like this;

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor ID: 2

Event ID 18
Source : WHEA Logger

I know i'm repeatedly saying this but i must say it again, restarts are completely random. Sometimes when listening to music, sometimes when playing video games, sometimes watching a video, sometimes browsing the internet, EVEN sometimes when idle.

After this, even though turning the auto-restart off, my computer restarted 2 times with no warnings no bsod.

Thanks, I don't know if i gave all the details properly, please correct me if I'm wrong. Somebody help! :shock:

Attachments

• SF_10-02-2013.zip
    2 MB · Views: 23
have you reinstalled windows?

Hmm wonder about that PSU. Could be the problem too.

Head to the PSU forum and read the stickies, and ask there if the PSU is the problem. Also, have the info about your PSU in the post and read about how to check your voltages.

Well, windows stays still since i got the system together. Can Windows cause this much trouble?

And i got rid of the old psu because of these problems. You think this new CX750 could be the problem? If it is, it would be traumatic for me :)

Is there any other way to test PSU? This multimeter thing seems so complicated for me and I don't have money to spend on any more electronical device or somebody will kill me (as this new psu didn't solve my problem, it seemed like i wasted money for nothing)

And please, can someone check the dump files for me? (I don't know how to do)

Your errors look like an unstable CPU OC.

Likely need more Vcore or turn down the CPU core clock.

Oh forgot to say, I never did OC. I had AI Suite II program of the MoBo which does OC auto tuning stuff etc. (I never touch any of those buttons though, just had the program, didnt tweak anything) I even thought this program might be the trouble and uninstalled it. But result is the same.

Just to inform people might be having the same problem as me, my problem is fixed. I fixed it by updating my BIOS. No restarts and crashes for 4-5 days.

Back