• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which Mother Board should I pick and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyrael_Kain

Hey guys,

I'm choosing a Mother Board for a gaming PC, I already chose a CPU and VGA

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 BE

VGA: Saphire Radeon HD 7850 2gb

So for a Mother Board I found 3 options:

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3; ASROCK 990FX EXTREME3 and ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

Which would you reccomend and why?

Also need advice on the rest of components -

1) Cooler for my CPU (as I read the one that goes with CPU is bad).

2) PSU for such a setting.

3) And what would you recommend on RAM.

Thanks

The number one question when getting a board for the older 965BE type cpu is do you "EVER" intend to use the same board with a later AMD FX-series processor. IF the answer is NO and you never intend to upgrade to the later type cpu on the same board as the 965BE processor, then the answer will be one way but if you intend to use the same board and later upgrade to FX series processor then the answer needs to be another one.
RGone...

Id order them like this Gigabyte 990X, Asus M5A97 Evo, then the Asrock 990FX. If you ever plan to run an FX chip sometime later dont even bother with that Asrock mobo.

Hey guys,

I'm choosing a Mother Board for a gaming PC, I already chose a CPU and VGA

So for a Mother Board I found 3 options:

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3; ASROCK 990FX EXTREME3 and ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

Which would you reccomend and why?

Also need advice on the rest of components -

1) Cooler for my CPU (as I read the one that goes with CPU is bad).

Thanks

The UD3 is the one I've been looking at lately, has good vrm and capacitors will easily support a 5 ghz clock speed.

The number one question when getting a board for the older 965BE type cpu is do you "EVER" intend to use the same board with a later AMD FX-series processor. IF the answer is NO and you never intend to upgrade to the later type cpu on the same board as the 965BE processor, then the answer will be one way but if you intend to use the same board and later upgrade to FX series processor then the answer needs to be another one.
RGone...

At first I haven't thought about that. But now that you've mentioned it, I guess I will, but later on (may be in a year or later)

There is a "THANKS" button you can use Tyrael (and you can also add things to one post by using the edit button - beats triple posting to thank you and your welcome! LOL!).

There is a "THANKS" button you can use Tyrael (and you can also add things to one post by using the edit button - beats triple posting to thank you and your welcome! LOL!).

Sorry. Where's the thank you button?

Dude, you spamming to get access to the classifieds Zenos? :rofl: Seriously! :p

:)

Zenos, what do you think of the rest of the components -

1) Cooler for my CPU (as I read the one that goes with Phenom II X4 965 BE is bad).

Look next to posts that are not yours. See where it says QUOTE, QUOTE+, and THANKS? That is the thanks button. ;)

For your PSU, I would get on the cheap, but a decent PSU, Corsair CX500. That will power any single GPU and CPU with overclocking.

For ram, 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz is what I would recommend.

Thank you button is beside the quote buttons, can you list your other parts again?
EDIT: Scrolled up, psu I'd say 650w good name power supply will do you well.
A good cheap cooler would be the hyper 212 evo
and a 2x4 gb ddr3 1600mhz/ 1866mhz kit.

Thank you button is beside the quote buttons, can you list your other parts again?

Sure,

Mother: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3

Look next to posts that are not yours. See where it says QUOTE, QUOTE+, and THANKS? That is the thanks button. ;)

For your PSU, I would get on the cheap, but a decent PSU, Corsair CX500. That will power any single GPU and CPU with overclocking.

For ram, 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz is what I would recommend.

Finally found it :), and again thanks :)

EDIT: I guess I'll take the PSU EarthDog recommended, because 500W is cheaper than 650W. Or it makes a difference?

Also, which one should I take the

CORSAIR BUILDER CX500 ATX2.3 80+ 500W BULK

or

CORSAIR BUILDER CX500 ATX2.3 80+ 500W?

RAM: I chose to take CRUCIAL BALLISTIX ELITE 8GB DDR3 PC3-14900 KIT OF 2

What do you think of my choice?

Last edited:
I think i would look at something other than crucial ram.
corsair or gskill perhaps.
with the deneb cpu 4 gigs of 1600 will do the trick, the memory controler is a little lacking on deneb, I use 4 gigs of 1333 and it's a happy little clam.

E_D, am pretty sure that C_D said what he said about the Crucial because every kit of it he has used on multiple AMD chipset boards has had just about no headroom to be overclocked. His particular Corsair has had some headroom but the last time he bought he got some Gskil DDR2133 and it has right at DDR200 headroom.

He asked and I advised him of my success with Gskil for AMD since OCZ left the ram business and he tried the Gskil DDR2133 and was more than pleased. So pretty sure those are the reasons he was not real hep on Crucial.
RGone...

Back