• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing new memory!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ILLPHILL

Registered
Hey folks!

Love the forum sofar! I have a bit of a problem and need some good advice and help making that tough decision on what memory to choose.

I am picking it up for the build you see in my signature. Currently i have Crucial Ballistix Tactical chosen but feel somewhat unconfident in that decision. I am also looking at the G.Skill Sniper series and also the G.Skill Trident series. My main problem is trying to decide weather the extra cost is worth it on the sets of G.Skill.

This rig I have tossed together will be used for light gaming but mostly for running multiple apps and programs and possibly using it for VM in the near future (may swap to an I7 3770 later for VM). I also work with Alice as well.

I would also like to add that I am concerned about the height of some of this memory and how it will work out with the Hyper 212 on this board.

Also I was looking over the spec's on my mobo and i noticed it offers support for DDR3 2800(OC)/1600/1333/1066.

Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Specs on the 3 sets:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Cas Latency: 8
Voltage: 1.5V
Multi-channel Kit: Dual Channel Kit
Timing: 8-8-8-24
Model #: BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX
Item #: N82E16820148561

G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series
Cas Latency: 9
Timing: 9-9-9-24
Model #: F3-1600C9D-16GSR
Item #: N82E16820231609

G.Skill Trident X Series
Cas Latency: 7
Timing: 7-8-8-24
Model #: F3-1600C7D-16GTX
Item #: N82E16820231628

Last edited:
Welcome Illphill, unless you're benching you really won't notice the difference in any of the kits you have chosen. All three kits are quality, if you already have the Crucial then stick with them, depending on the IC's they are generally good ram for overclocking, check out this review by Woomack. I don't feel you'll be sorry about keeping the Crucial.

Welcome Illphill, unless you're benching you really won't notice the difference in any of the kits you have chosen. All three kits are quality, if you already have the Crucial then stick with them, depending on the IC's they are generally good ram for overclocking, check out this review by Woomack. I don't feel you'll be sorry about keeping the Crucial.

That was a great read! I didnt figure my decision would not really be seen unless I was benching alot and I dont plan too. Don't get me wrong, I love overclocking but I just want to make a good decision. Just looking for good fast stable memory with the ability to be OC'd easily and good CS if i need to rma it. I dont mind spending the extra to get those things.

I have heard nothing but good things about Crucial, though I do not own any, I do have 3 sets of G Skills, 2 Ripjaws and 1 Sniper, they are good overclockers. I do not have any experience with RMA or CS so I cannot help you there.

I am beginning to learn towards grabbing up a set of that G.Skill memory. My main worry with that brand was the enormus heatsinks. But I looked at my boards layout and manual and seen what slots they suggest for dual channel with 2 sticks and it was different than what i though and it will allow more room without hitting the heatsink on the CPU cooler.

That choice is up to you, the heatsinks are mainly for looks. Unless you're doing some extreme overclocking on them, they really aren't going to make much of a difference.

I ended up going with the G.SKILL Trident X Series 1600 16GB kit.

Back