• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got this to cool my PII 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

This seemed like a good buy so I took the bait. This will be my first experience with water cooling, albeit it is a prefab kit. What do you think, will it be as good as the CM Hyper 212+ I was cooling my spare rig with (see the Sig)? This system has a mid tower case with top mount PSU so I can't go with a dual fan side by side rad like the H100.

This seemed like a good buy so I took the bait. This will be my first experience with water cooling, albeit it is a prefab kit. What do you think, will it be as good as the CM Hyper 212+ I was cooling my spare rig with (see the Sig)? This system has a mid tower case with top mount PSU so I can't go with a dual fan side by side rad like the H100.

I don't see what you made the move to.
RGone...

Sorry, I forgot to attach the image. Duh!

Attachments

• bigwater.JPG
    bigwater.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 107
i would think that even if it did not lower temps by at least a few degrees that it should be quieter. If that turns out being the situation, you may swap it onto the 960T since you run it most of the time.
RGone...

Trents, you know that you have to do some testing now between the two and post what the results are correct? ;)

Changed my mind and cancelled the order. Read some reviews and it didn't seem like a step up and reviews said it was very noisy when the fan was turning fast enough to make it at all efficient.

Changed my mind and cancelled the order. Read some reviews and it didn't seem like a step up and reviews said it was very noisy when the fan was turning fast enough to make it at all efficient.

I was not sure you could expect lower temps by a 'lot' but I thought it would be quieter. If not quieter, then you saved 30 bucks.
RGone...

Trents, if you really want a better cooler get a Prolimatech Megahalems, picked one up with no mounting hardware for $15.00 on Ebay, 6.99+ s/h for the amd retention kit at Frozencpu dropped my temps on my I5 2500k at 4.7 10c across the board compared to my 212 + using the exact same fans. I have yet to test it on my 955 though I'd bet you would get a decent drop. I'm planning on testing it but haven't vested the time yet, due to the fact that I have a Termalright Ultra extreme on it now and the retention hardware is the most difficult I've ever used. It was a nightmare to mount compared to the 212+ and the Megahalems.

Last edited:
Well, I put the lazies aside for a bit today and reclocked the system with a combination of the multiplier and the FSB which as us veteran oveclockers know, is the right way to do it. Was able to get 4.1 ghz Prime95 stable with .05 less vcore and shaved 4c off the core temp. Maxed out at 54c so I really don't need a new cooler now. But here's the kicker, I kind of half-heartedly bid on a Noctua D14 ebay sale last night after cancelling the water kit purchase. I really didn't want the Noctua very bad and I was just poking around with the bid to see what the max current bid was and the sale wasn't to end until 5:00 PM today. I bid $1.01 more than the highest bidder at about 10:00 PM last night. I was certain the bid would go higher between then and 5:00 PM today. But guess what, it didn't. Now I'm the soon to be proud owner of a Noctua D14 that I don't really want or really need. So far my wife hasn't said anything. Don't think she's checked the email since the bid closed. Got it for $66. I'll make someone a good deal on a used Noctua D14. Any takers?

Ha, now that is a monster! Good price for $66.00 if I didn't already have the CM 212 and another Megahalems"<---got this one new from the same guy on ebay for $30 with s/h I had to :)", sitting in the storage bin doing nothing I might take you up on the offer. So far I have my 955 at 4.1 also under the Thermalright, my 8350 @ 4.7 under water and my 2500k @ 4.7 with the Megahalems. See what you did to me, I going to blame it all on you ;) When my tells me I'm crazy I'll just tell her Trents made me do it. :thup: Be well my friend.

Last edited:
jeese trents get some water on those things.
then you can quit thinking about your vcore and just kick it in the rump and get it going.....

I have allready had two complete systems burn to the ground, the little woman says that i am not allowed to have another.........

Back