Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

speeding up firefox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 01:38 AM Thread Starter   #1
voodoo do'er
Disabled

speeding up firefox

found this on another forum.

Code:
1. Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit enter. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

much faster for me.
voodoo do'er is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-13, 07:41 AM   #2
ozan

Firefox is as fast as it is, as someone who have tried that stuff before, I can tell you that some servers may get pissed with too high pipelining, and the paint delay is there for not making window transitions choppy. If you want a faster firefox, I advise playing with hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling, and if you want you can go 64-bit FF, Waterfox.

Monitor: VG248QE LB PSU: Seasonic X-850 Optical: LG 14x BD-RW
ozan is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Mandrake4565 (02-20-13)
Old 02-18-13, 10:04 AM Thread Starter   #3
voodoo do'er
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozan View Post
Firefox is as fast as it is, as someone who have tried that stuff before, I can tell you that some servers may get pissed with too high pipelining, and the paint delay is there for not making window transitions choppy. If you want a faster firefox, I advise playing with hardware acceleration and smooth scrolling, and if you want you can go 64-bit FF, Waterfox.
what severs ?
not everyone uses windows. So Waterfox is not a sure fix for speed.
voodoo do'er is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-18-13, 04:56 PM   #4
RJARRRPCGP

10 Year Badge

Quote:
"network.http.pipelining" to "true"
"network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
This also sped up Firefox for me when I had 56K!

This makes the browser more responsive on all types of internet services.

Using pipelining with the default amount of requests works like a charm with probably most servers.

Pipelining allows faster browsing without using more bandwidth of an ISP, thus a server shouldn't complain.

Opera has HTTP pipelining enabled by default, IIRC.

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
-ICH10R
- eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
"Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
"I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
"Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-18-13 at 05:02 PM.
RJARRRPCGP is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-20-13, 08:25 AM   #5
gangaskan

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozan View Post

it is? last time i used FF it was bloated. i'm more partial to chrome right now even more so since they pushed out chromium for android.

Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
Heatware
gangaskan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-20-13, 08:38 AM   #6
ozan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangaskan View Post
it is? last time i used FF it was bloated. i'm more partial to chrome right now even more so since they pushed out chromium for android.
I find chrome bloated and kinda spying on me these days. I don't trust it's incognito at all. Only chrome I'd use is chromium on linux. That thing is less glitchy and fast like the old days:P

Firefox handles lots of tabs and flash content wonderfully tho. Chrome is crashfest.

Monitor: VG248QE LB PSU: Seasonic X-850 Optical: LG 14x BD-RW
ozan is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-22-13, 03:34 PM   #7
txus.palacios
Premium Member #18

There are some nice Firefox tweaks here (ArchWiki), ignore the parts that involve Linux.

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras
txus.palacios is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Thanks!
Stratus_ss (02-26-13)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.