• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5a99FX pro r2.0 + AMD FX 8350 Vishera (B.E)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkblitz05

Guys, Sorry if I posted this thread wrong but really needing some help/assistance to my problem.

I got the mobo ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU= AMD FX 8350 VISHERA (BE)

my primary problem is = THE FREEZE THING!
im not really the type of user who uses "cpu overclock" I just want a normal fx 8350 running without even overclocking it or whatsoever:rain:.
Please can someone help me badly need your assistance with these..

1st scenario: when im on my bios everything runs fine, but when im going to the OS itself or i got a new Hardisk and installing win7.. IT FREEZES!!

OS that i want to install: win7 (x64bit)
btw: my ASUS BIOS VERSION is 1503 http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/#support_Download

really appreciated if someone replies here on the thread or message me and talk to me like on yahoo or skype.

Is this a new build or did you just upgrade the motherboard and cpu? If you just upgraded did you do a fresh install of windows or are you trying to run a hd that already had windows on it. If the hard rive already had windows on it you need to switch the sata ports to IDE from AHCI.

Wow, fast reply.. really appreciate it..
yes, new MOBO+new CPU
hmmm I was trying to install fresh new windows.. and it freezes there.
yes i noticed that AHCI was the default setting on the bios setup.. hmm so I need to use the IDE setting? Is it purely a "IDE" word/option on the bios setting?

Welcome to the forum darkblitz05 :welcome:
Check to see if your memory is set up correctly. In BIOS under the advanced section go to tools and you'll find a heading for spd. Open this and it will tell you the profiles contained in you ram. Just make sure the first four timings are set , Frequency and voltage. The auto set up isn't always perfect. No guarentee but this may help.
If not we'll want a bit more info on your system and what exacly is happening. You say going into OS and Installing OS. Will it actually boot into windows ?

On a fresh install you should leave it set to AHCI

Im using 8gig (2x4) DDR 3 pc1300
I already check it at the bios and the reading was correct.
Before installing the windows I check the drive type and it was set to AHCI, but in the middle of doing the windows installation setup = I get the FREEZE THING.

Is your PSU new? What is the make and wattage rating of the PSU? What is the make and model of the video card you are using?

Do you have more than one hard disk in your computer? If you have as second drive that was previously installed before the upgrade, do you remember if it was set to IDE or AHCI or RAID?

Yes, its a new PSU (GX-550W - Cooler Master)
Im currently only using 1 Hard disk.

Btw im using the asus board now + my old (phenom II x6 1055t) and its running.
The only problem that I get is only when I tried to use the fx 8350

What do you have for a power supply? You should put up a sig . Itll make thins easier. Go to the top of the page and under quick links you'll find it.

Capturesig.JPG
If that's an older underpowered supply that could be why it's having trouble under a load.
You could also try taking one stick of ram out when you install Windows. The new board and old ram may not be getting along.

BIOS update maybe. Sorry that is the current BIOS.

Yes, its a new PSU (GX-550W - Cooler Master)
Im currently only using 1 Hard disk.

Btw im using the asus board now + my old (phenom II x6 1055t) and its running.
The only problem that I get is only when I tried to use the fx 8350

You didn't answer my question about the make and model of the video card. I was wondering if your were exceeding the capability of the PSU when you went to the new CPU. Probably not the issue, however, if the 1090T runs okay.

Please put your parts info with some detail in a Sig, as someone else requested.

I would do a CMOS reset and try the FX 8350 again.

Check the 8pin which i think is a 4+4 on that PSU is fully seated. The one at the top of the board. Doesn't matter if it's new ram or old still may not play well

@ Trents it does kinda act like a power problem doesn't it

You didn't answer my question about the make and model of the video card. I was wondering if your were exceeding the capability of the PSU when you went to the new CPU. Probably not the issue, however, if the 1090T runs okay.

Please put your parts info with some detail in a Sig, as someone else requested.

I would do a CMOS reset and try the FX 8350 again.

Check the sig. (I added it now, sorry)

@Johan
The 4+4 pins are well plugged, infact im using it now.

Yes, it does sound like a power issue. I had the experience with a failing PSU on one occasion where it behaved exactly like what the OP is describing. It would almost boot into Windows but not quite. Apparently, there is more of a power draw at certain points in the Windows booting process than at others.

Try resetting the CMOS and stick the 8350 in again. You PSU is not the greatest but if it's working properly should provide adequate power for the components you are working with.

That FX 8350 is an extremely hungry CPU at idle it will draw twice the power of the 1055 and like Trents said if the PSU isn't quite working like it should be you'll have problems.

Last edited:
Back