• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a gaming computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Inferso

Registered
Hey guys, i just wanted to get some advice on my plan for my new rig that will be used to do maximum setting (crysis 3 for example) gaming with no overclocking neccesary, but i do plan to overclock in the future. Any information will be helpful, i do not need a mouse, keyboard, or monitor so ignore that. Thanks for your time and here is my list:

BUDGET-Around $2000 CURRENT-$1828

Motherboard

ASRock Z77 Extreme6-($160)

CPU

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core-($320)

CPU Cooler

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-($33)

RAM

Corsair Vengeance 16GB-($90)

Video Card

XFX Radeon HD 7970 (3GB)-($380)

Sound Card

Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX-($120)

System Drive

OCZ Agility 4 256GB Solid State Drive-($200)

Storage Drive

Seagate Barracuda 1TB-($90)

Case

NZXT switch 810-($170)

Power Supply

Cooler Master Silent Pro 850 Watt-($140)

OPTICAL DRIVE

Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive-($25)

Operating system

windows 7-($100)

Last edited:
I'd say, save some money in the motherboard (this forum loves the asrock extreme 4 and 6) and with that difference you can afford a much better cooler. Then this is my personal preference but with Sata 3 you can get 1000MB/s sequential reads with a Raid 0 of SSD. Since the price difference is minimal, you can get 2 x 128GB drives for a few bucks more.

Yes, and there's no performance loss. The only reason you may pick the sabertooth over the asrock is because of the look or if you are a fan of the brand.

Ok thanks, i'll change the motherboard around in original post.

By the way, I had an Asus Rampage IV extreme before leaving my country and I had to sell it. I had so many issues detecting the xmp memory profiles... This baby recognized everything during the first boot and the post time is extremely fast. I see the windows loading screen 2 secs and half after pressing the power button.

Do you think i should go for Win8 or 7 by the way? That 2 and a half second start up sounds great though...

Hey if you do not really need the both parts I'd toss the BD Burner and the Soundcard. Unless of course you intend to burn Blurays and have audio equipment that requires a good soundcard (xonar series is good ).
The rest looks fine :)

Edit: Im a Win 7 User and do not plan to upgrade. I don't like the metro design with all those squares. And I am not sure if all programms are compatible with Win 8 yet.

I really don't need to burn blue rays, so i should just scrap it? The sound card i want because I'm going to be using nice surround sound equipment, so i need that.

I don't have a disc drive. You can install windows 7 and 8 from an USB device. The only thing you need is the network driver in the thumbdrive and that's it. Then you can download the rest of the drivers from the net. I have a gaming laptop that has win 8, I HATE IT so bad. In my rig I use win 7 ultimate. At the end, it's just a matter of taste if you can handle the metro interface.

Regarding the sound card, take a look at the one I have. In terms of sound, I think there's not such a big difference and the main advantage from this card is that it has an extra powered output for headphones and you can switch the outputs from the software. When I play games I switch to my headphones and when listening music, I switch to the speakers. It's really cool.

I love my current rig, but with the direct x11 requirements, i can't use XP anymore, so i decided to start from scratch like i did 5 years ago.

by the way, just cause i am immature, i thought that it said sex pro studio on the top right, got me laughing pretty good... And that does look awesome: Sound blaster Z SBX?

If you don't burn them, throw it out of your config :) Would be a waste of money.
As for the soundcard, what exactly is your surround sound equipment? If it includes a DAC / AV Receiver toss the soundcard. You should use the optical output of the motherboard then.
On the other hand if you have a low end PC 5.1 System you should save on the card too, since you won't notice any difference either.

anhikilator made a good point, I didn't read it the first time :-/

edit: I see what you did there :rofl:

I still want to have a disc drive, i don't think i could go with out one, any suggestions on that?

If you just want to have one, go with any 20-25$ DVD drive like from Samsung or LG. No need for something fancy there. They might be loud when in use though, so you might want to check some reviews on the model you pick.
If you plan to watch blurays on your PC can get a BD Drive, I just wanted to get you away from the Burner ;) There I do not know any specific models I could recommend, I use the one from my laptop.

Also: I don't have any surround sound equipment in mind, i just know that i want to use a nice one.

Before I post a novel, what do you need it for? Will the room where your PC stands replace the living room / be your home cinema? Just for gaming? Listening to music?

//Edit this doesn't have anything to do you with your PC, so forget my questions ;) You better start another on that specific topic when the time has come.

Back