• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am2 motherboard can I give it a bake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
So my previous thread was that I couldn't get my AM2 board to post, I'm pretty sure it's dead. Can I give the motherboard a bake or does this not work with motherboards? If I can how do I go about doing it?

You can certainly bake it. I'm not sure if it will work or not :).

Why is everyone so enthralled with baking and/or freezing their hardware!?

Baking because it's healthier than frying and freezing keeps them fresh longer?
That was funny Aldakoopa, anyhow it's dead already so no harm in giving it a try. Seriously though what do I need to prepare it for a bake?

Broken soldered connections that have failed over time do to heating/cooling cycle stress can be rejuvenated by baking if it's done just right. It has often worked with video cards but I never heard it done with a mobo.

Is there a thread for you confirming it dead somewhere?

Do you have a reason to believe its physical damage rather than a burnt chip or toasted bios?

So my previous thread was that I couldn't get my AM2 board to post, I'm pretty sure it's dead. Can I give the motherboard a bake or does this not work with motherboards? If I can how do I go about doing it?

yes... you can bake it.

I baked an old ASROCK MB once upon a time. fixed a broken AGP slot.

i suggest you pull the bios chip and battery prior to baking it though. I've got nothing to base this on, just i did it prior to baking my MB, figuring it was the most sensitive eq on the board and most likely to not react well to the temps.

Ya, battery should be pulled, as well as any sensitive plasticy parts if there are buttons. Anything that is more of a decorative plastic needs to go - ram slots and expansion slots are fine. Plastic buttons can be risky, depending on what sort of plastic they are and how thick.

I melted the crap out of some buttons an a DFI M2RSH.

Ya, battery should be pulled, as well as any sensitive plasticy parts if there are buttons. Anything that is more of a decorative plastic needs to go - ram slots and expansion slots are fine. Plastic buttons can be risky, depending on what sort of plastic they are and how thick.

I melted the crap out of some buttons an a DFI M2RSH.

yeah... everything plastic will get pretty soft. you need to be careful not to bake it to the point your plastic parts deform... some things are pretty small and will straight up melt.

I realised how close to the edge I was with my recent baking of a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. Not much plastic on it... and what little plastic is on it i nearly melted badly. Only a little work with it allowed me to even get the power plug to fit into it after it cooled down

of course i baked it on the long side... 350 for 25 minutes. really going by the information in the baking thread you probably don't want to go over 10-15 minutes.

Thanks people, I'll have a look over it, I'll pull off of it what I can and try and protect any of the plastic bits that cannot be pulled. In the end though, it's dead anyway so no harm if I melt it, it would just be nice to be able to resurrect it. Thanks again for the replies.

Bake 10 minutes at 400 and she's dead! No post no beeps, cpu fan and gpu fan spinning but thats it. I think it's time for the scrap pile, I just wish I could have sent it off in a more glorious fashion.

Bake 10 minutes at 400 and she's dead! No post no beeps, cpu fan and gpu fan spinning but thats it. I think it's time for the scrap pile, I just wish I could have sent it off in a more glorious fashion.

:D But you did! I mean seriously. Who anywhere would think about baking a dead MB? That's going out in true OC fashion bro!

You could have broiled it for a while. That could be glorious. :escape:

Thanks all, but I wanted it to be in a shower of sparks. It was an old pc that I bought from cyberpower that served me well. I would have liked to try overclocking the Athlon 64 X2 6000 on it. I guess I'm gonna to get me another AM2 board so I can cook that cpu. I can't have cpus sitting around not overclocked in this house it's against the rules.

EDIT: Just an FYI for all that decide to bake a Mobo, make sure you have good ventilation. I have a window near the stove that I put a window fan in, on exhaust to suck the fumes out of the kitchen. If I didn't the whole house would have stunk. The wifey wouldn't have been happy when she came home if that was the case.

Back