• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a 4.4Ghz "Stable" Overclock for my FX-6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPEETHER

Registered
Im looking for some help on getting a stable overclock of 4.4Ghz for my AMD FX-6100 processor on my Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard. For cooling, i have a Cooler Master V8 and it WILL be good enough for the overclock.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.PNG
    CPU-Z.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,970
  • HWMonitor.PNG
    HWMonitor.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,682
Look at the 12v+ info line in HWMonitor. It's all over the place - 11.968 to 12.864!

When you post pics from CPU-z, please make sure you show us these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. You haven't given us enough info as it is.

No, just post them. The Memory tab of CPU-z shows us the current frequency and timings your ram is running at. The SPD tab displays the manufacturer's recommendations for voltages and timings of the ram at various frequency levels. We need both to compare how it is with what it should be.

Based off of what I have seen in that other thread, I am currently running at 4.3Ghz with all green-saving/other stuff disabled in bios. In the SPD tab, for me, my memory slots are under the slot 3,4 tab for both stick of memory. I can assure you they are in the right slots on my motherboard though. It doesnt really matter though right?

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 1,576
  • Memory.PNG
    Memory.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,561
  • SPD Slot 3.PNG
    SPD Slot 3.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,578
  • SPD Slot 4.PNG
    SPD Slot 4.PNG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,571
In the last pics CPU-Z says 1.488 Vcore and the first post was 1.424 @ 49 deg on the package what temps are you hitting when you run prime at 4.3 GHz and that voltage? Also for now set your ram trc to 41

It does matter which slots the memory is in because if they are not in the right slots you will be running in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode. Dual channel gives better performance. The CPU-z Memory tab reports you are currently running in dual channel mode so you must have them in the correct slots. Okay, timings in the Memory tab match what the SPD tab XMP-1600 column shows so that is good.

So what you need to do now is to stress test your current settings to make sure they are giving a stable overclock. Do this: Open HWMonitor on the desktop first thing and leave it open. If you have not done so, download and install Prime95. Run the Prime95 blend stress test for 20 minutes. If the computer blue screens, restarts, locks up or if any of the six Prime95 core workers drops out you fail the test and you are not stable. Also watch HWMonitor as the test runs. If you "Package" temp exceeds 60c, stop the test. If the TMPIN2 temp line exceeds 70c, stop the test. Post back with a pic of HWMonitor after the test is run (if it passes, that is).

Ok so i started the test, came back about 7 minutes later, and the TMPIN2 temperature exceeded 70 degrees and the CPU exceeded 60 degrees, so i stopped the test as you said i should. I didnt get any errors or anything on any of the cores in Prime95. Here are the pics...

Attachments

• jkaskwakfawdkl.PNG
    jkaskwakfawdkl.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,585
  • ffffff.PNG
    ffffff.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,587
That's kind of what I expected. What kind of case do you have you might be able to get more air flow through it. But that may also be a limitation of the V8. Can you get it stable with less voltage. it's hitting 1.52v which is going to create alot of heat.. If you can I would keep dropping it a bit at a time till prime crashes right away then come up a couple steps and check for stability with prime again.

Now, back off you CPU voltage by .025 and retest, watching for temps as before.

So in the bios, I have my Load Line Control set to mediam. Does that sound ok? or should I set it back one to Regular? And in photo with the voltage, there is a CPU NB VID Control setting. Am I supposed to touch that? for whatever reason I raised that when using that other thread as a reference. So should I leave or change the Load Line Control? and just lower the CPU Voltage Control down one?

Attachments

• poop 1.png
    poop 1.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,593
  • poop 2.jpg
    poop 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,581
The TMPIN2 is the socket area of the CPU which includes the VRM. Try not to make too many changes at one time or you'll have it unstable and not know what you did to get it that way. If you drop the load line control to regular don't change the Vcore or NB. One thing at a time. the LLC at regular won't allow the Vcore to jump to 1.52 but on the other hand it might restrict it too much. Trial and error just one thing at a time

Ok so I lowered the LLC down one to Regular, then I did the test again. The TMPIN2 reached 73 degrees about 2 minutes through the test. I stopped the test knowing it failed (since it exceeded 70 degrees) and know I am supposed to lower the VCore down one. So I know I have to do that, but do I do anything to the CPU NB VID Control too?

Lowering either of these will bring the temperature down. If you NB is at 1.325 like I see in the BIOS you can drop it and then check for stability, Same goes for the CPU vid but like I said 1 at a time. If you can't lower the volts enough to bring the temp down to safe levels and remain stable. You'll have to back off the OC a bit. But just keep going the way you are I think you still have room to drop the voltages. Also you never answered about your case. If the hotair builds up in there your CPU cooler can't work like it should.

What makes you say that the hot air is building up? I have an intake and an exhaust fan. The cpu cooler pushes the air out great with this case and cooler!

It's possible that you have too much coming in and not enough going out.More airflow the better. And honestly one intake and one exhaust isn't alot of airflow.

Worker Failed

Ok well I lowered the VCore to +0.75 and left the CPU NB VID Control to +0.100, then I ran the test and one of my workers got an error. I didnt get an error when leaving the VCore at +0.100 but the TMPIN2 temp exceeded 70 degrees. Do you think my V8 just isnt good enough for me to do 4.4Ghz? Is it because I need more air flow? Or is there something else wrong?

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,539
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,553
Try putting the voltage back to where it was but drop the offset on the NB. Take the side of the case off and see if the temps drop. I gotta sign off for a while. If you have to get a room fan and point it into your box to bring the temps down.

Yes, take the side off the case and retest for temps. If temps drop then that demonstrates you are not moving enough air through the case. You have a 140mm fan in front pushing but your rear fan is only 120mm so all other fan properties being the same the 140mm fan is encountering resistance to flow. Do you have any spots in the top of the case for fans?

Back