• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Playstation 4 Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnmachine

IMG_2978.jpg

With all the talk today about the announcement of the PS4, I thought we could discuss our thoughts on specs, games and software here.

Dual Shock 4:

IMG_2996.JPG
IMG_2997.JPG

Specs:

Looks like it will have an AMD X86 Jaguar based CPU and a secondary chip for OS level computation. *Not Confirmed*

- 1.6 Ghz AMD 8-core X86 cpu (Possibly Jaguar Core)
- Secondary "OS chip"
- 8GB DDR3 Ram (only on dev kits)
- "Advanced PC GPU" (18 GCN units, 64cores per, 2.2GB Vram(unconfirmed))
- 160GB+ HDD
- 2 TFlops Compute

Full Specifications

a2NzbAw_700b_v1.jpg

Features:

- Full Cloud Service
- Vita cross-platform and remote play
- Fully customizable interface
- Spectate mode
- Broadcast mode
- Touch-pad enabled controller
- 4K compatibility (non-gaming)
- Cloud based game service offering PS1/2/3 titles

From what I have gathered the PS4 definitely looks better than I had expected, despite being a home console it has some nice high-end features Sony is know for not cutting corners on. However, I still can't say much as to what the computing power will truly be like since we require more detailed specifications in order to make an educated guess.

As for the OS implementation it is still to be seen as to how the users will adopt this new system in terms of usability. Like any press conference there is a lot of promise without any concrete substance to make substantial claims. That said, I am pleasantly anticipating more information on the next offering from Sony.

Release is said to be "Holiday 2013" which probably means Sept-Nov.

Last edited:
So it looks like a high end gaming PC and from what I can tell backwards compatibility will work through cloud and we will have to buy digital versions of older games.

I guess it was to be expected. Don't see any reason to rush out and buy it right away.

i think he said a 8 core apu with 8 gb of gddr5 and 2 TFLOPS of power . dont sound 2 bad at all . killzone looked very good if it was running at 1080p

Love the Playstation, PS3 is my second favorite gaming system at the moment
I think that a Bulldozer 8 core is overkill for the PS4, i would think that PS4 will have something more like AMD Phenom X6 2.5ghz or AMD A10 APU to keep the production cost down so they can compete again the XBOX and Nintendo
For the console gamer like my sisters, they don't understand why pc gamer spend $2000+ on their gaming system, they just want a decent gaming system that low cost but little that they know that all of the part in the PS3 or XBOX 360 are consider outdated and have been abandon by pc manufacture.

At for RAM, i think 4gb DDR3/1333

I also predic that price would be around $500 to $750.

Last edited:
It's a shame they've gone with no backwards compatibility (Well, at least not with the current PS3 media we have)

I don't think I'll be picking one up without it if I can avoid it. Who knows how long the old phat PS3 I have will last?

So they are partnering with Blizzard to bring Diablo3 to the PS3 and PS4...

Only about a year late.

edit: watching/reading a liveblog at ars: http://live.arstechnica.com/sonys-2013-playstation-meeting-liveblog/

Overall, I don't think we will get a price until E3 at the earliest. I think they are waiting to see who bites first (them or Microsoft) at the price point so the other can make a competitive mark.

I think I'll probably be picking up a PS3 slim once they go really cheap. My old fat 80 model PS3 gets really hot, and besides I could use a PS3 on my upstairs TV.

They already said that the PS3 has a massive catalogue of games and I expect them to keep making games for the PS3 well into the PS4 life-cycle. At least downloadable games anyway.

So they are partnering with Blizzard to bring Diablo3 to the PS3 and PS4...

Only about a year late.

Diablo 3 was definitely the weirdest announcement... and Blizzard the weirdest partner. They make a game... what... every 9 years? None of them even close to console friendly... I laughed when the guy started with "You know we actually cut our teeth on consoles... anybody remember Black Thorn?"

Heh... *I* remember Black Thorn. Came out in 1892 and it wasn't very good.

I think I'll probably be picking up a PS3 slim once they go really cheap. My old fat 80 model PS3 gets really hot, and besides I could use a PS3 on my upstairs TV.

They already said that the PS3 has a massive catalogue of games and I expect them to keep making games for the PS3 well into the PS4 life-cycle. At least downloadable games anyway.

You should DEFINITELY get a slim... there's also a slimmer slim out. Your old fat 80 gig will ABSOLUTELY DIE. All of them will. Mine died twice. Some people are luckier than others... but unless you have water cooling... death is inevitable.

Better to switch now while you can still save your games. (I lost ALL my game saves... well I could probably restore a few from backup if I really cared to... but I'd rather just play through the games again.)

I thought the new Killzone was the LEAST impressive game. Didn't like it at all.

Capcom's Deep Dungeon game and Watchdogs (CHI-TOWN BABY!) were the most impressive.

I'd be tempted to get the system at launch... but only if those games are any good. If Watchdogs scores a 9 or higher... and is actually available in time for launch... then I'll have one at launch.

My old 160gb PS3 are still working perfectly, i bought that console along with Gran Turismo 5 back in 2010(still play that game some time)
Can't wait to play the new Rock Band 4 :D

My old 160gb PS3 are still working perfectly, i bought that console along with Gran Turismo 5 back in 2010(still play that game some time)
Can't wait to play the new Rock Band 4 :D

Well that's still a slim. (I have the exact same system.)

There's the slim and then the slimmer slim.

Both of those will probably NEVER stop working. (Least as long as the lasers continue to function.)

I have my old PS2 jimmy rigged so that it runs all the games from the hard drive. So that thing will probably never die either as long as it has electricity.

Something got screwed up with my Dreamcast though... started scratching all the games. THAT sucked.

Normally I do ok with old consoles.

But my PS3 is a slim and my 360 is a slim. And I have one of the original Wiis... I should be all good with cheap games.

Well I don't use my PS3 fat all that much. The one I have is the 80gb metal gear solid 4 edition, the last one to have ps2 backwards compatibility. I believe it has a lower failure rate than the original 20gb and 60gb versions.

Next-gen consoles should have SSDs in them for crying out loud. Since people are going to be paying $600+ for them anyway right?

Next-gen consoles should have SSDs in them for crying out loud. Since people are going to be paying $600+ for them anyway right?

That would probably add like 100$ to the price tag. They are probably going to give them the largest HDD they can to give people lots of space so they can buy lots of games from the PSN marketplace.

An PS4 with ssd would probably cost $1000+, while the new XBOX and Nintendo are way cheaper, console gamer don't want a expensive gaming console, they just want a decent gaming console to play their game.

Who cares? Many will pay to get the newest console for Christmas. Even if it means getting raped on eBay and Craigslist. ;)

You're not saving much money when you also have to buy $40-$60 controllers and $50-$60 games on top of the console.

Back