• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is a new one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

Sorry for length but necessary. I've got a Gigibyte GA-880GA-UD3H MB
For some time now I've been having trouble with it. First windows will crash, but not always. Same thing happens when shut down properly. Anyway when I try to reboot it either won't boot stating HD corruption or it won't even see the HD at all. I've spent hours just trying to get into windows so I can install a fresh copy. No avail. Damn thing won't even post so long as ANY HD is plugged in. I tried 3. So I took to tricking it by unplugging the drive and then replugging after post. Thank God for SATA being hot plugable. This would get me into BIOS but for nothing since it didn't see the drive but in turn this would sometimes get me to windows load but then it's stuck in a check disk loop. Through it all the one constant was my DVD. It was always seen (sata too) and never a problem. So for kicks I plugged the drive into the same channel as the DVD. DVD in top slot hard drive underneath. Booted up like nothing ever happened. So I moved them both to channel 0 where the hard drive should be and again it booted up like new. What the hell is going on here? I've been building computers since like '98 and never had anything like this. Thoughts? :shrug:

Were You using the 6 or 3 Gb ports. I have had boards that could be really picky about where things are connected but this does sound odd. :screwy: Maybe try changing bios setting to ide not ahci or vice versa

Last edited:
Were You using the 6 or 3 Gb ports. I have had boards that could be really picky about where things are connected but this does sound odd. :screwy: Maybe try changing bios setting to ide not ahci or vice versa

I've always had it on IDE. is ahci better? Never took the time to research the difference. The HD was on channel 0 as usual. That should be a 6 port. not sure on the where the dvd was but it's on 0 now with the HD.

AHCI gives faster transfers of data because it utilizes some advanced data handling features not available in IDE technology. But whether you will notice any real life difference is questionable unless you are frequently doing a lot of large file transfer type tasks, disk copying, etc. And once you format a drive in IDE and have installed windows you would have to do a simple registry hack to get AHCI to work.

AHCI gives faster transfers of data because it utilizes some advanced data handling features not available in IDE technology. But whether you will notice any real life difference is questionable unless you are frequently doing a lot of large file transfer type tasks, disk copying, etc. And once you format a drive in IDE and have installed windows you would have to do a simple registry hack to get AHCI to work.

Can you give me the registry hack? I do a lot of large file transfers moving AppleTV files and mp4 as well.

1. Startup "Regedit
2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services
3. Open msahci
4. In the right field left click on "start" and go to Modify
5. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok"
6. exit "Regedit"
7. Reboot Rig and enter BIOS and switch to ahci or system will not boot

Thanks. I may just fresh install. How would I format that from the start?

Just go into bios before you start to load windows onto the disc and choose AHCI from the SATA configuration options. Save, reboot and install Windows.

You need to try a couple of different ports like 3 and 4 and a couple of different sata cables. If the bios does not see the hdd in the bios then you need another motherboard. HDD controller is usually about the only thing about an AMD chipset that goes bad and yours certainly seems as if it has gone bad.
RGone...

I am surprised, nobody has questioned about PSU. What kind of PSU are you using? Make model and wattage? To me it sounds more like power problem than motherboard.
No POST when hdd is pluged and regular POST if it is not plugged make me suspect on PSU.

I am surprised, nobody has questioned about PSU. What kind of PSU are you using? Make model and wattage? To me it sounds more like power problem than motherboard.
No POST when hdd is pluged and regular POST if it is not plugged make me suspect on PSU.

I agree about the psu. But as I have found in the past, computers can get the strangest problems from the most unlikely sources. If possible swap each component until you can rule it all out but the one causing the issue. The motherboard or psu would sound like the most likely culprits. Bios flash might also be helpful.

Back