• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temps running hot 80C on stock settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Torched

Registered
Tasks: Video Encoding im hitting temps around 81C

Awhile ago, I fried my motherboard, while trying to upgrade the ram- RMA finally came back, now Im noticing that my CPU temps are rather high when running video encoding tasks. Is this normal? Or do you think I didn't apply enough thermal paste or did I applied too much thermal paste when placing the stock heatsink back on? Suggestions? Advice? Does it take awhile for the paste to cure? or?

Case: Coolmaster stacker, all fans hooked up and running, airflow is great. It's a rather new build too.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    39.2 KB · Views: 96
Boulard83,
It seems like the stock heatsink was only making partial contact with all clips locked in, so I applied a thin layer on the cpu itself, re-spread out the cpu thermal paste that was on the heatsink, re-locked the heatsink in and pressed down. I might have to look into other options if this heatsink isn't lining up properly.

Any ideas? suggestions? right now idling at 25C with only a few applications open.

25°c idle seems fine, if you load the cpu ? what temp you get now ?

As for the paste, you may try to reaply new paste. With these processor you only need to apply a very very small amount of paste in the midle of the CPU IHS. Then mount the CPU cooler correctly and its pressure will spread the paste.

Yeah, don't try to spead the paste before mounting the cooler as Boulard33 said. Doing so introduces air bubbles that insulate. Some other tips as well: Clean both surfaces well before reapplying. Don't use tissues, paper towels or soft cloth to clean the surfaces, they leave behind insulating lint. Best thing is paper coffee filters as they have a smooth, hard sheen and don't leave fibers behind. Start with dry ones to remove the excess and then finish up with one slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Apply a dollup of paste to the CPU about the size of a pea and then install the heatsin, letting the clamping pressure spread the paste.

Do you have the push pins lined up so they lock in when you press down? Is there any movement when you try to move the heatsink?

Just wanted to say thanks guys for taking the time to help me out, with this- You guys :attn:

25°c idle seems fine, if you load the cpu ? what temp you get now ?

As for the paste, you may try to reaply new paste. With these processor you only need to apply a very very small amount of paste in the midle of the CPU IHS. Then mount the CPU cooler correctly and its pressure will spread the paste.

55C is what temps I am running my encoding tasks at now, and 46C max for the socket. Do you think I should give applying thermal paste another go, and see if temps go down, or just let it be? Seems like it is just that little bit over 50C range, but mainly for the high performing tasks. Games like league are much lower.

Do you have the push pins lined up so they lock in when you press down? Is there any movement when you try to move the heatsink?

That's the interesting thing, is when I pushed down the first time around everything locked into place, gave it a tug to make sure it was secure and the heatsink didn't budge at all, which is why I was confused as to why only half of the thermal paste only transferred over the first time around.

Back