• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Unable to install Win7 or 8 on Gigabyte z77-d3h with transced ssd320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OgreRO

I am unable to install any Win7 or 8 (both 32 or 64bit) on my new mobo with transced ssd. While on Win7 is is complaining about missing driver for cddvd drive, in win8 is do not complain but it simply do not offer any disk for installation. I tried to install AHCI driver but it didn't help. I also tried few options in bios like switch to IDE or so. Nothing realy help. SSD is recognized and formated at other computer with no problem. I can see both disks in my bios and for now I connected them to standard SATA2 controler to make sure driver will be available. So far no luck. Any idea what might be wrong ?

When I got you right, both Operating System can't use your CD drive. Does that work properly? Cables OK?
Is your CD Drive set to first boot priority?
Can you either check your drive at another PC or can you create a bootable USB Drive and bootm and install from there?

Well it seems to be. I can boot from CD and it is complaining about missing bootmgr when booting from SSD. CD is set to boot as first and it is working fine I can boot installation DVD and then get error. So far I didn't try Flash disk as I do not have any usb key, only sdhc card that does not work when trying to create bootable disk. Will try some old mp3 player whether it works there.

So your SSD is connected to one of the Z77 ports, and after booting from the official Win7 DVD, then entering Win7 Setup and selecting Custom (advanced) from the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, the drive doesn't show up on the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen?

Correct. Here when I have setup AHCI, I can install pre-install driver from usb but after that still do not see disk. When I have in bios IDE, then driver is not found and unable to move forward with installation. So basicaly even when I do use USB installation I am worring that I wont be able to see disk even after that.

I am confused now, is it just me or did the first post create the assumption that his CD Drive is not working / showing up?
So if you do not see the SSD, check in BIOS if you can set it as boot device, it may (not likely though) be that you have to change the order of your drives (SSD first) so you can install on it. This requires the SSD showing up there.
Otherwise:

1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...nize-ssd/80a83aed-56dc-438c-a65e-a0ea815ce551

Under the Boot Options Priority menu in the EUFI, are either the optical drive or SSD prefixed w/ the "UEFI:" string?

Under the Boot Options Priority menu in the EUFI, are either the optical drive or SSD prefixed w/ the "UEFI:" string?

That something what I do not undestand. One time I can see UEFI in boot option and after reset I don't (only sata is there). So now I can see it, let me try to boot with this however I did use uefi before.

Ok so booting from CD under UEFI allways fail on both OS. It is complaining about corrupted files. So I bootup with SATA settings and tried steps proposed by "idkfa". I can see disk there and I am able to clean it. After that when I click on "install now" is is asking for some cd/dvd device driver. And funny is I am running installation from this cd/dvd. This error come up from Windows 7 x64.

Guys, with Win8 x64 and diskpart app I am able to see disk. So only disk with create partition is accepted. Strange. It is copping files lets see how fa I will get. I am still not able to install Windows 7 but lets forget about win7 if win8 is working. Good chocolate to everybody on me :)

Back