• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virtual Memory is full ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

k, I'm running this comp for almost 1 entire day, and now it says the paging file is full ??? (win2k) my virtual memory is set to abotu 700 MB, how can it be filled up in such little time ? And how can I clean it up ?

minoukat said:
k, I'm running this comp for almost 1 entire day, and now it says the paging file is full ??? (win2k) my virtual memory is set to abotu 700 MB, how can it be filled up in such little time ? And how can I clean it up ?

I have my swap file set to 64 Mb.....700 is a lot. How much physical memory do you have? (RAM)

He has 192MB - says so in his sig.

Try letting windows manage virtual memory or increase it to 1Gig+.
What sort of things are you doing on your PC?

PenguinFreak said:

LOL. My bad. He also needs a better power supply.

PenguinFreak said:

I play games (almost always lagging), download some stuff, make some video editing (sometimes), type stuff, use it for surfing, ... Basically I do everything on this computer. Isn't Windows 2000 supposed to have a better memory management ? How come this happens ?

Whoa....something's eating up your memory and processor...do you have any programs that may be running in the background shut down?

for the processor, I'm running Folding@Home, that's about it (that I run, the rest is a Windows app or service). Processes pic :

show us a screen shot of what processes you have running

mabey there are some real resorse hogs in there

EDIT doh: i guess we posted at teh same time

im takeing a look at it now

are you sure all 192mb of your ram are being recongized by the comptuer

looks to me like you only have 64 in there

crash893 said:
are you sure all 192mb of your ram are being recongized by the comptuer

looks to me like you only have 64 in there

Actually you can't see from that screen shot the total physical memory....you'd need to go to the performance tab in task manager....lower right side lists total physical memory.

Yup, Windows recognizes everything (188MB, cuz 4 MB are "used" for the onboard video card). it's very strange, as isn't windows supposed to free the page file once the application is shut down ?

Could you please post a COMPLETE picture of your Processes window (enlarge the window until the scroll bar is gone)

what I posted was a complete pic, if you still see the scroll bar it's cuz after the last entry (IExplore.exe I think) there's an empty line, that's taking up some space and generating the scroll bar.

i dont think that would solve the problem

beucase if you indeed had 192 mb working it wouldnt fill up in the first place

It is probably just a bad application. When you get the error, you are running low on virutal memory, open task manager and see which process is leaking memory. Just close that application (or end task) and restart it if you want it to run. You might want to try reinistalling it or find a newer version, if possible.

ok, my "Commit Charge" is full. I have 4** MB available for this, and it still fills up during the night. How come ? and BTW my physical memory is fine, it's staying stable at 79MB free

was this a one time thing
if so it was probably just a glitch

i thought you were getting this every single time

Back