• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MiniITX home server (& htpc?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axion

So my thinking is to build a home server to do the following:
- Raid storage
- VPN to connect to using my iPhone/iPad when abroad for iPlayer etc
- Would like to be able to stream stored video over the internet to the ipad/iphone as well
- Re-encoding video files

My hardware thinking is:
case: Fractal design node 304
motherboard: really struggling to decide here... maybe Asus P8H61-I
cpu: Intel Core i3 3220
or save some $ and get Intel Pentium G2020
ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
or should I be looking at 16gb?
psu: Corsair CXM 430W worried by the number of sata connecters though... any suggestions?
hdds: 4x2tb or 4x3tb western digital red series
os hdd: either pickup a small sdd or have plenty of old hdds too

any suggestions/recommendations/changes to the above? Only ever built my own gaming pcs before, never had/used a server so bit of a novice... but really want the functionality listed on a power efficient, low noise 24/7 server.

Motherboards with chipsets where the 2nd character is a 6 might not have native support for Ivy Bridge as they were released during Sandy Bridge's lifespan. H77, B75, Q77 would be the chipsets you're looking for.

any other feedback? I intend on ordering everything today and anyone's input would be gratefully received.

IIIIINNGERRRLLLAAANNNDDDDDDD!

Power supply is overkill. I've just asked for lower power recommendations in the psu section.

I'd get a cooler, top down to cool the board. Depends on budget, I chose the axp140 thermalright over the noctua version. Was only £32ish from overclockers.co.uk Go bigger if you have more space, max out the case. If you're doing video encoding get the i3. I'd get a small ssd too.

As for board, try and go for one with bigger heatsinks (pro type ranges) since it'll be on all the time, or just make sure cooling is above par.

Back