• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigjme

Hi everyone, so one of my first posts here after losing my old account.
So my current watercooling system has been running for 2 years now without issue but my case is looking a little messy for my likeing. So i want to upgrade it a little, my current build is as follows;

AMD Phenom x6 1090T @4GHZ
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula with Full EK Motherboard Block
16GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz
700W OCZ Modular PSU
2 x 2TB Sata 3
1 x 120GB Mushkin Chronos
Koolance Exos-LT Black V3 - Limited Edition
2 x XFX 5770 in Crossfire
Case; IN-WIN Maelstrom

Im looking to upgrade a little on my watercooling and case, im looking at going for the following;

Cooler Master Cosmos 2
Koolance CPU-380A
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 360 Radiator
EK-EKoolants Blood Red
3 x BitFenix Spectre PRO 120mm Fan Red LED
Aqua Computer Aquatube Delrin Reservoir - black

I currently already have some 10/13mm red hose, and have 10 of the following fitting, plus whats already in my system;

XSPC G1/4" to 3/8" Barb Fitting (Black Chrome)

I am looking at taking my koolance all in 1 system apart for the pump, unless i can sell it due to it being a limited-edition system

My questions are, as i will be running a loop as follows, will the one 360 rad be enough? and will the fans and koolance PMP-300 be enough to get optimal performance from the water blocks? i will be connecting both the pump and fans to the cases built in fan controller and leaving them on full, unless i am recommended to do something else.

Loop Config;

Pump (out) - Motherboard (in) - Motherboard (out) - CPU Block (in) - CPU Block (out) - Rad (in) - Rad (out) - Res (in) - Res (out) - Pump (in)

Thanks,
Jamie

I can't go into many particulars regarding water cooling but I can tell you this:

If I were you I would wait till the Corsair 900D comes out or get a 800D, but cases are mostly personal preference.

360mm Radiator is plenty enough for your CPU and Motherboard. It would even handle another GPU just fine.

With that, those fans will cool just fine.

Also try and stick with 1/4" hoses as the flow is much greater.

Good luck!

would the 800D or 900D support more then one rad? the problem i have is an extremely fussy on cables. Even with my case, unless i have some extreme cable management it drives me mad. I mainly want to use my watercooling to make things look nicer, i also have the 160 rad that is inside my koolance system with 2 fans which i was considering putting somewhere at some point aswell

I have a 800D and im upgrading to a 900D when Haswell comes out, its much better for watercooling out the box.

i think their intro video on it just sold the case to me.... Do you guys know when its suppose to be released and a rough price?

I can't go into many particulars regarding water cooling but I can tell you this:

If I were you I would wait till the Corsair 900D comes out or get a 800D, but cases are mostly personal preference.

360mm Radiator is plenty enough for your CPU and Motherboard. It would even handle another GPU just fine.

With that, those fans will cool just fine.

Also try and stick with 1/4" hoses as the flow is much greater.

BIG TERMINATOR:
I need to kill this train of thought. How can flow be better when 1/4" ID restricts flow more than larger tubing? Do you watercool?

Good luck!

For the OP: Don't keep that pump. It's pretty weak. And being limited edition for the setup... I don't know what to say so I'll put it bluntly. The Yugo car was a piece of junk sold in the USA for under two years. You can buy a pristine collectors car for less than a Umm, box of rocks.

Your fitting size is good for modern stuff. Prolly your hose is fine. Your fan choice, are they good pressure fans made for radiators?

My suggestions since your using a fluid that we know will clog your blocks and stain tubing, a res etc.

You really really need to read the WC stickies. In YELLOW up top.

Get back to us in a few days once you have studied the stickies. Please don't gloss over them much.

Last edited:
hmm thats american and im from the uk and its not available for pre-order here :-(
but if that price stays accurate when converted to GBP, its cheaper then the cosmos 2 also

And i know how you feel about the tubing, hence why i would keep my tubing as it is. I have 2 meters of my 10/13, and i also have 5 meters of 10/16 which is acid proof and extremely flexible.

Ok i've found somewhere i can pre-order it in the UK, it has an ETA of mid april but i will have to wait. As it has the extra space which the cosmos 2 did not, at the top of the case, i think i will go for a quad radiator. The shop i wish to order my cooling stuff from doesn';t have a large selection and i don't fancy spending over £100. Which of these would you recommend for under £100?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=962&catid=1523&subid=1841

I will only be putting push on the rad and can change the fans to best suit, the larger version of what i already was looking at is £95 which isnt too bad

I hopefully won't have any heat issues as with my current air cooler, which isn't very big, Coretemp reads 20-27 that includes running games maxed out, and using PC Probe it reads 22-31, which i don't think is too bad

I know watercooling is commonly not as good as air in some instances, with my current watercooling kit and motherboard block, the SB and MB are at 22 constant, with NB sitting at 44-48

this use to get way over 100 with the original heat sink and shut off so water was much better on that. For my CPU i will be using nano-diamond paste which is what i currently have and haven't seen issue's with yet on any of the pc's its been used on

its just what was supplied with my ASUS ROG board. But yeh, for coretemp im reading

16'C - 26'C

so hopefully the waterblock will keep it cool, my cooler is only a basic cheap £17 cooler at the moment. Do you know of any more accurate software to measure motherboard temps if PC probe isn't great?

My NB has always been a pain with this board and many other people have had the same issue, so hopefully even with the CPU in the loop, upping from 2x80 rad to a 4x120 rad should even drop that down. Weirdly the hose from my motherboard block is rather cold and the air from the rad is cold, even with a NB temp of 44, and SB, MB being 22. You can feel the difference between the input and output pip on the rad though

26C with coretemp? Is that under load? Prime 95 small ffts for 30 minutes them measure CPU temps.

Don't see any problems with your NB/SB/mobo temps unless that's at idle temps too.

Another great case with plenty of room for two rads (360 and 240 no problem, some ppl fit in 420 up top) is the NZXT Switch 810 - a great review - WC systems with 810

As for the pumps, I'd go either with MCP35x or the MCP655-PWM (only at frozencpu)

From the reviews I've read the tubing size does not make too much of a difference when it comes to the flow, but personally do I prefer the 1\2" ID - 3\4" OD - I really just like the looks of it the most.

As for the pumps, i did look at those but im looking for a pump i can bolt onto the case as the res i want you can't mouth a pump to the bottom.

Just put pime95 on as you said, looks like i never saw my pc actually max out, started it and my pc instantly went to 45'C so i will check back in half an hour or an hour and see how it is. If it hits 60 i would be packing the watercooler on it even if i didnt plan to :)

as for the NB/SB/Mobo temps, that is at idle soooo yeh, needs looking at if it gets very warm i think. My system is run 24/7 so i often don't see how hot it gets

ok i thought it might be easier to post my results, this was from a fresh restart, and running prime95 as requested for just over 30 minutes

20130226_172955_zpsd28c6a26.jpg

yeh it does seem warm, hopefully the watercooling will drop it down a bit. and my current pump in the system is one of these

http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p9582_Koolance-pump-PMP-300.html

so what i was going to do was have a custom bracket made, to bolt around the res, and mount the pump directly on it, the same way it is currently screwed into the enclosure i have, which for anyone that wants to see it is here;

http://koolance.com/ext-400bk-v3-exos-lt-liquid-cooling-system-v3

Back