• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trimac

Alright guys, my motherboard's vrms went up in smoke. CPU is still good. :thup: Was wondering which you guys think is better for a modest 4.6-4.9 clock on the FX8120 processor. My mobo had a mere 4+2 power phase and new it was going to die, was just hoping it wouldn't take the cpu with it, and it didn't. I've been looking at the Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3 & UD5, the UD5 appears much better to me, has a nice beefy looking heatsink, different VRMs than the UD3 apparantly. From what I've read the UD3 uses the same VRMs as the 980fx and 970fx. So I'm really leaning towards the UD5 at this point. Have read nothing but good reviews, wanted to know what you guys think. That's what these forums are for, right? :)
Thanks for help guys!
Figured out how to do the sig, just need to unlock.

I would go with the UD5 however if your on a budget with mild overclocking the UD3 will do.

What board did you have before?

Had a M5a97 and 8120 bundle pack, hadn't known much about computers last June.

Was wondering which you guys think is better for a modest 4.6-4.9 clock on the FX8120 processor.
Modest OC? LOL I wouldn't call that a modest overclock. If that is your plan you better have some really good cooling. Even with that it still may be a longshot.

For big overclocks the Gigabyte UD 5 and 7 are good boards as well as the Asus Sabertooth, CHV, and the ASrock Fatal1ty. I haven't heard of anyone using a MSI board of late so I cannot comment on an MSI.

I burnt that board by overclocking, just got my watercooling setup today, kept that cpu within 10C Delta under load @ 4.4, then the mobo burnt.

Well any of the boards listed above would be good for you to try for a high OC. G/L

Back