• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I mess this up? Solder PICTURE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9queSt

I know, I should have took it to a pro.

I kinda made a mess of things when installing a transistor.

experts: please give me your thoughts on the picture, I hope its not junk.

Thank you
Rick

20130228_164449_zps3a7c1302.jpg

I squeezed the solider sucker over the motherboard by mistake. In order to remove the solider I had to kind of scratch at it with the solider iron.
Is there a layer of shielding that protects the circuitry?

Last edited:
All that tipping is bad. Sooner or later it will haunt you. As for your work, I don't know your PCB but if you burned through you've probably nicked a trace or more. Hard to say from the photo but it looks like you have some testing ahead of you, probably some rework. :cool:

I'd spend a bit of time with some alcohol and a q-tip cleaning the board up. Then solder the legs more securely. Should be fine once you do that, I don't see any meaningful damage.
Just don't bridge any traces.

What's this PCB part of? Looks ECU/PCMish.

Thanks for the tips. Is a honda ecu with hondata s300. Ill clean it up and post a new pic

20130228_210053_zps7ac9a9d4.jpg

I think the alcohol removed a thin coating that was on the PCB. Visually it looks cleaner.
What do you guys think? Should I give it a try in the drag car?

That does look better. I'd take a magnifying glass and make sure there isn't any solder connecting the pins to each other. If there aren't any shorts and the transistor is installed the correct way, go for it!
The pic is a bit too fuzzy to tell the difference between bits of solder and scratches on the solder mask (the green plastic coating).

Back