• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 BIOS UPDATE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PlayMaker

Registered
Hey all, I just upgraded to the ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 motherboard w/ the AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz.
During my research I found forums in which a BIOS update was needed for the Sabertooth. First off, is this true? And if so, could someone please provide a basic step-by-step explanation of how to update the BIOS? I have never upgraded a BIOS before so I want to make sure I do it correctly. My products should arrive next week so hopefully someone can provide me with the proper instructions soon. The rest of my computer setup is listed below in my signature and has not changed. (PSU, GPU, etc)
Thanks in advance!

*Note - I don't plan on overclocking at this time if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Best way is to download the bios update to a usb thumbdrive. Then restart computer and go into the advanced bios mode and the Tools tab and you will see the tool for flashing the bios and you will probably see the new bios file you downloaded to the usb thumb drive. Choose that file as the one to use for the flash (update). Pretty easy and fool proof. Now, I am assuming the process on your board will be very much like it is on my Asus M5A97 since both have the UEFI bios.

I noticed on the Asus support/download site for bios updates there are quite a few for the sabertooth. Do I just choose the latest one only?

During my research I found forums in which a BIOS update was needed for the Sabertooth. >> during ALL that research you did not find out which bios you needed to update to? All that sounds like BS to me. Yes you would flash the latest bios by date of release.

I never flash a bios unless it is actually needed. It sounds like you don't even know which bios your motherboard currently has on it and it might be the latest already depending on time of board manufacture.

My sabertooth r2.0 took a Vishera as a drop in no questions asked. I have since updated the BIOS but that was for a different reason.

Thanks all for your time and help. I don't know which bios it currently has because it hasn't arrived yet. And to RGone, I do appreciate your reply, I just wanted to make sure I had the right steps. I consider overclockers.com forums much more reliable than any other forum out there. Anyways, thank you all!

Thanks all for your time and help. I don't know which bios it currently has because it hasn't arrived yet. And to RGone, I do appreciate your reply, I just wanted to make sure I had the right steps. I consider overclockers.com forums much more reliable than any other forum out there. Anyways, thank you all!

I was probably a little rough in my original reply above but it was for a reason. We get so many people that have heard what seems nothing more than a rumor about something bandied about on the internet. Bios flashing should not be one of those things.

Something like a year ago there were boards shipping with bioses that would not support Bulldozer processors. Those had to in some manner have a bios flash before the Bulldozer processor would even work. Today there is no such issue with any Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.

The procedure that 'trents' mentioned for a bios flash if done on that Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is probably the best that there is of the three that Asus has for use. Safer it seems. One thing he did not mention is if the bios file is a "zip" file then it should be unzipped as placed on the Usb stick. It will not flash in zipped file format.

You take your time and that Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 should do well for you. It is probably among the top five best motherboards for Vishera class cpus. Luck man.
RGone...

Thanks again. I'm glad there are experts like yourselves who can give me the straight facts. Oh, and I did happen to see here on overclockers.com forums the Sabertooth in the top 5 for the Vishera class. :) That helped me make my decision on a new motherboard.

You should be happy with the mobo. Been using mine for a few months ago and absolutely love it.

It worked with my 8120 right out of the box and I've always updated my bios soon as one came out. Yet to have any problems with it.

Only thing I don't like about it, my 2nd vid card covers up my pci slot so I couldn't put a sound card I wanted in.

Also when I moved around the cards I ended up covering up my frot panel connectors and couldn't plug anything in.

Other than that the board is awesome and well worth it.

Back