• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 cooling questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

I'm all about the bling somewhat on my comp. Been messing around with computers for around 18 years now.

Here recently when I got accepted for the PayPal credit card, I got a $3000 limit and decided to buy a new computer. So far I've spent $2300-$2500 on my PC.

After putting it together I noticed I was hooked once again.

Anyone know if they make neat looking northbridge and southbridge cooling components for the asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0? Looking for something blingy looking other than a stock black fan.

The SB can likely be replaced with any of a number of aftermarket NB coolers. They generally look like little CPU-style tower heatsinks.
The MOSFETs might be able to be cooled with this sort of thing: http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-hr-09u.html

If they can, then an aftermarket NB sink could likely be used on the NB as well.

Personally I would work on dressing up the current setup. Given the Sabertooth's military theme I would take the direction (it's not very blingy, otherwise), sleeve your cables in cammo colors (could be deserts or woodlands, given the MB). Do the whole thing up in that color scheme, put some medium-bright yellow warnings on it with military style stencils, maybe add some hidden UV LEDs to bleed light out from behind parts that have recesses behind them.
If you're creative you could get some SMDs on a PCB under the SB heatsink for instance, might be the first UV bleeding stock SB heatsink out there :D

The SB can likely be replaced with any of a number of aftermarket NB coolers. They generally look like little CPU-style tower heatsinks.
The MOSFETs might be able to be cooled with this sort of thing: http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-hr-09u.html

If they can, then an aftermarket NB sink could likely be used on the NB as well.

Personally I would work on dressing up the current setup. Given the Sabertooth's military theme I would take the direction (it's not very blingy, otherwise), sleeve your cables in cammo colors (could be deserts or woodlands, given the MB). Do the whole thing up in that color scheme, put some medium-bright yellow warnings on it with military style stencils, maybe add some hidden UV LEDs to bleed light out from behind parts that have recesses behind them.
If you're creative you could get some SMDs on a PCB under the SB heatsink for instance, might be the first UV bleeding stock SB heatsink out there :D

Para cord the recommended sleeving material?

Also, what do I need to get the pins out of the connectors? Never have taken a PSU apart, would I need to take it apart to get the stock black mesh out from around the cables?

Also, the stock doesn't look that bad. I like the military style they have. Prob going to start where you recommended. Just gotta get some lights.

Currently got all my stuff in a CM HAF X case.

For sleeving advice Thideras is the guy to talk to, I've never done it.
To get at the parts inside the PSU you'll need to open it. Another option is to start the sleeving at a point where the starting point will be hidden behind the MB tray.

To get the connectors out you'll need a tool. I'm not sure what the part number is or where to get it, as that isn't really my scene.

For sleeving advice Thideras is the guy to talk to, I've never done it.
To get at the parts inside the PSU you'll need to open it. Another option is to start the sleeving at a point where the starting point will be hidden behind the MB tray.

To get the connectors out you'll need a tool. I'm not sure what the part number is or where to get it, as that isn't really my scene.

Alright, appreciate the info.

Guess I'm going to work on getting my 8120 at a stable OC past 4.0 this morning. Then start looking at designing my case.

[Official] ASUS sabertooth AMD Owners Club at overclock dot net. I was looking at the middle pages of that 432 page thread about that board and I cannot say how many had modded the VRM for water cooling and even the north bridge was water-cooled, but not a single one had done anything to the very cool running south bridge since it sits so closely under any video card that most use today.

Did not see even a single blingy instance of air cooling of the VRM or north bridge.
RGone...

True, I just looked at the SB and it's completely covered by my video cards. So that's going to be out the question.

Guess I'm going to go with the sleeving option for now to match the mobo. Then go from there.

Back