• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running Abit NF7-S v2.0 with Sata hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Just a quick question, does anyone know if it is possible to run a Sata hard drive in IDE mode with an Abit NF7-S motherboard?

I have one, it has Sata ports, but if I run it in anything other than Raid mode it doesn't see the drives at all and they are not bootable (even with an OS already installed on them).

I've tried multiple drives, multiple cables, and looked all through the bios; however, I have as of yet been unable to figure out a solution.

The drives are known to be good, but yet they don't show up at all in the BIOS, nor during the bootup drive checks, they only show up in the Raid menu.

Crap.

That's what I get for being lazy and not trying the search function.

Any drive that has been run in RAID has RAID meta data bits that may need to be removed before it can be run in another mode. There is a way to do this with Linux console commands and I have done it some years ago. Can't remember how it was done now but you can probably Google it.

Here you go: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600014

For legacy nvidia chipset based boards, using a newer OS :
Enable SATA and RAID. Set up a RAID array in RAID BIOS as a single drive RAID-0, Striping 64k.
Enable it as boot drive of RAID. Save and exit. Now you should be able to install Vista, Windows 7, 8 as a SATA drive.
Albeit the system sees a RAID.

Any drive that has been run in RAID has RAID meta data bits that may need to be removed before it can be run in another mode. There is a way to do this with Linux console commands and I have done it some years ago. Can't remember how it was done now but you can probably Google it.

Here you go: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600014

I somehow missed this post back when I started the thread.

The drive in use actually was NEVER set up in a RAID environment. It was merely plugged into a SATA RAID controller.

I was recently trying this again on the same board. Still couldn't get it to work, even with a fresh install on a reformatted drive. Doesn't want to read the drive on this board for some reason, causes blue screens when it tries to install XP onto the drive. Strangely, I recently had the same behavior on a DFI SLI-DR board when I have the DVD and HDD plugged into the Silicon Image SATA ports, but same drives work normally if plugged into Nvidia nForce4 SATA ports.

Ended up having to use an IDE DVD drive and IDE hard drive.

Just a quick question, does anyone know if it is possible to run a Sata hard drive in IDE mode with an Abit NF7-S motherboard?

I have one, it has Sata ports, but if I run it in anything other than Raid mode it doesn't see the drives at all and they are not bootable (even with an OS already installed on them).

I've tried multiple drives, multiple cables, and looked all through the bios; however, I have as of yet been unable to figure out a solution.

The drives are known to be good, but yet they don't show up at all in the BIOS, nor during the bootup drive checks, they only show up in the Raid menu.

I use this: StarTech.com 2.5 Inch and 3.5 Inch 40 P Inch Male IDE to SATA Adapter, with my Abit NF7-S v.2

The drive was most definitely never run with Windows 8 on it. Yuck! I hate Windows 8 with a passion. I wouldn't give that OS to my worst enemy (okay, maybe I would).

It's only had Windows XP and Windows 7 on it.

I never did get the thing to work from a SATA drive. Completely gave up on it last year.

what is the rest of this setup to be, brings back some great overclocking memories> TBred XP1700 or a 2100?

You need the SATA driver @ F6 on install, or it won't recognize the HD. I have the driver if you need it. It has to be loaded via floppy or slipstreamed into your install media.
Hell, I have floppy drives if you need one. If you plan on benching old hardware....you will.

You need the SATA driver @ F6 on install, or it won't recognize the HD. I have the driver if you need it. It has to be loaded via floppy or slipstreamed into your install media.
Hell, I have floppy drives if you need one. If you plan on benching old hardware....you will.

Yep, Yep. I missed the part where OP said he was trying to install XP on this SATA hard drive. I wish he had said that in the first post.

Yea I don't have anything constructive to add, but wanted to say you guys are awesome for even bumping this thread about a board from the golden age of Abit.

Ironically, I think the NF7 even came with their "SERILLEL TM" adapters (yea, I had to dig out my NF7 box for that messed up spelling) hah.

Lastly, seriously, an NF7 (any revision) w/o dead caps???! What are you bringing this up for? Read that question as "that's awesome!!!" ... retro-rig? win9x game rig? Daily driver (omg, you are a masochistic mo**) lol.

Inquiring minds want to know! =)

EDIT add: and.... if you're sadistic (to the board) win7 32 bit... is technically possible >;-D
http://www.win-raid.com/t15f37-NVIDIA-Optimized-nForce-Driverpacks-for-Vista-Win.html

Back