• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair AX850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TacoLife

Registered
Hello,
Im in the market for a new PSU and I was looking at the Corsair AX850 gold modular psu. Basically Im looking for a gold rated power supply that can run my system:

cpu: i7 3770k with a heavy overclock
mobo: asus p8z77-v
hdds: 2TB Seagate and a 200gb+ SSD that I am planning on buying relatively soon
GPUs: 2x GTX 660ti FTW+ Signature 2
CPU cooler: intel closed loop liquid cooler
4 case fans and 6 USB ports (4 of which will always have something plugged in)

Anyways, I thought the AX850 would be perfect but then I read some reviews that said this power supply does not support SLI configuration for this reason:
-Two cables fior the ATX connector were included, however both of them required using the PCI-E connectors on the PSU. Therefore, no ability to use SLI

If this true that I can't run an SLI configuration on this power supply if I require 4 cables? If this is the case.. what PSU should I be looking at instead?

Would the GS800 be enough?

3770K - 77W CPU. This includes the integrated GPU, so you're looking at around 65W. Adding on the overclock, probably about 100W.

660Tis are a 150W card, since you have an overclocked model, lets say it's 180W. x 2 would be 360W.

The rest of your system would be maybe 60-70W since you have two HDDs and a water cooling pump.

Really, your build probably needs around 550W on the 12V rail. A good 650W is MORE than plenty for your machine. :thup:

Oh, thanks for the break down of my power requirements. I thought I would be drawing a bit more.
Well in that case I don't think I'm going to drop the $200 on the ax850 then, my local computer store currently has Corsair Gaming Series GS800 V2 Power Supply on sale for $99.99 so I think I'm going to go with that. However I notice its not on that list of "approved power supplies" on this forum... is there a reason for that or has it just not been tested yet?

Donno what the no-sli-on-ax850 people are smoking, it has four PCIe power cables, that's enough for two GPUs of almost any sort.

Like Knufire said though you don't need 850w. I'd go for a 650-700w unit for plenty of OCing room.

Gotcha, yea it didnt make sense to me that an 850 watt psu would not support sli, but I just needed to make sure.
Im going to grab the gs800 since its on sale for only $10-$15 more than the top 700watts and I'm a sucker for blue LED. And it will leave me even more room if I decide to change up some hardware later on.
Thanks for the help guys.

Back