• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTLDR is missing (Paragon Backup and Restore)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IEski

Registered
So, my HDD is failing, and yet i have no money for new, so i took one from old notebook, and tried to Restore my Backup using paragon tool, but i get NTLD is missing message when i try to turn on that disk. Need something working until i get new HDD, and i fear new one will do the same after i restore, so i need some advise, thanks.

Hey,

as of now, no need to panic :) Grab your Windows (7 I guess) DVD an boot from it. The choose repair options and go the command prompt.
"bootrec /fixmbr"
"bootrec /fixboot"
"bootrec /RebuildBcd"
Should help you. It seems like your bootrecord / partition table is corrupted.

Things you should check first:
No non bootable CD / Floppy in Drive
Bootorder in BIOS is correct
You did not recently try to install a second OS which failed.

Good luck :)

I have just one CD that works, and it is Windows 8, can i try to repair it using windows 8 CD ? or can i repair it using normally booted Windows 7 from my failing HDD ?

Can you please list what HDDs you got and which of them boots and does not boot and what OS is installed.
You can repair that when you successfully can boot Win 7 via testdesk.

750 GB Hitachi 7200rpm (working, boot partition (75GB), failing)
80 GB Hitachi 5400rpm (should work, yet it gives me NTLDR is missing error)
Using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and i recovered my working windows to that 80GB HDD. I can install Windows 8 on that 80GB disk, but i want everything as i have it now installed.

I have another question for you:
You feel the 750GB will fail in the near future?
You took your 80GB and put in your PC?
Then you got the NTDLR is missing error?
Did you format the 80GB drive before that? Did it run windows xp before?
Why not save the data from the 80GB and do a fresh reinstall, seems the best option to me.

I suspect when you tried to 'restore' the system from 750GB to 80GB you messed things up. I would reinstall.

Otherwise:
check out this link: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step#Running_TestDisk_executable

Somewhere should be explained how to fix the MBR.

If you have questions feel free to ask :)

1 - Yes, things are getting worse day by day
2 - Yes, took from notebook
3 - I formatted 80GB drive, then i restored my Backup that i used many times before. Then i got NTLDR missing
4 - No, well, maybe, my father tried to "revive" that old notebook, and he try everything...
5 - Ill do clean Windows 8 install i guess..

You will need another harddrive soon anyway. 80GB is too small to live with it. My windows folder is 26GB right now, add I think 8 GB for the swap file. 8GB (10%) you have to have left unused and you are at 42 of 80GB. Then add your programms, files etc. (you have to have backups from important files that are on your 750GB).

Would that be something for you? I don't know in which country you live, but this will be the prices.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Well, i am from slovakia so im watching another sites :) WD 1TB 7200rpm SATA III, 62 euros. Is it good deal ? :)

What edition, I heard you always want to go with the black edition or better you want to avoid the caviar green edition.
But yeah, 1TB for 62€ is good.

Back