• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Msi 970a-g46 for phenom 965 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huanwu26

Hi, the current mobo I have is a msi 970a-g46 which is a 4+1 mobo. It handles well, pretty stable, no problems so far. I starting to think about oc my amd phenom ll x4 965 be 3.4GHz to about 4.0GHz max. But I been hearing some upsetting things about 4+1 mobo and msi (at least about the g45 model) in general about overclocking with the mobo. So I was wondering would I be able to OC my cpu without any problems? Thank you

I g00gled that particular board and used it and VRM + failures as my key search string. Nothing but headaches. More often with newer FX processors, so you might get by with that 4 core Deneb cpu. No way to know but to try and see. Otherwise you just go by what you can read as I did and forget it and get a decent board.
RGone...

Yeah, it will probably be okay for 3.8 to 4.0 ghz overclock with top end air cooling. But do your self a favor and put a spot fan on the VRM area.

^ Yep, you could even put some heatsinks on the VRMs. I did that on my Gigabyte ga-790xt-USB3, and it allowed me to get a 100 MHz extra, with a small 92mm fan blowing on them.

hunawu,
But I been hearing some upsetting things about 4+1 mobo and msi (at least about the g45 model) in general about overclocking with the mobo.
Just an Fyi I had 2 of these burn up on me,trying to OC a 955be on them. The 3rd replacement I just ebayed the one I received back from RMA and bought a better board. I don't know if they've improved the VRM section on the g46 model but I can say hearing a loud pop and then seeing smoke come out of your pc isn't a good time. Here is a pic of the g46, I highlighted the VRM section.

Attachments

• 1a.PNG
    1a.PNG
    172.4 KB · Views: 8,420
Back