• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SteelSeries Engine Mouse error-anyone get this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I install the software for my SteelSeries Sensei Mouse no problem. Then the software won't start, and every time I start my computer I get an error indicating as much w/the following error message details below. I have the latest firmware for the mouse, and latest driver too.

I really regret buying this mouse.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: steelseriesengine.exe
Problem Signature 02: 2.6.2591.39524
Problem Signature 03: 50805f33
Problem Signature 04: DriverCommunication
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 50805f33
Problem Signature 07: ff
Problem Signature 08: e
Problem Signature 09: YH4SNGUHRPOQWCZUWHE3U4GCNRXB0GCH
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

I had that problem one time during my review period of the mouse. Chalked it up to having the old Logitech software installed. I then uninstalled the steelseries software and other mouse software and unplugged the mouse and then reinstalled the software before plugging the mouse back in again and didn't have any more issues. I've since sold it to a friend who hasn't had any problems.

I had that problem one time during my review period of the mouse. Chalked it up to having the old Logitech software installed. I then uninstalled the steelseries software and other mouse software and unplugged the mouse and then reinstalled the software before plugging the mouse back in again and didn't have any more issues. I've since sold it to a friend who hasn't had any problems.

In my case this was the FIRST and ONLY mouse that my new build (sig file below) has come in contact with haha. I've googled a lot and found tons of problems from others with the same described issue. However in those threads I have not seen a solution. Nor is tech support very good from SSeries either.

I WILL however try that method of not having the mouse connected.

Part of their solution was the following which I think is crazy. Why would mouse software need to be uninstalled each time you try a different USB port? AND, why would having your mouse in a rear USB3.0 port which is next to a USB 2.0 port be bad (as compared to UBS3.0 next to another USB3.0??)

I didnt have it configured this way either.

1. Refer to the picture in the link below and make sure that you are not plugged in to any of these places. The USB 3.0 port is OK to use but try using both a 3.0 port and 2.0 port. Since 3.0 provides more power, it may be the better alternative.
http://cdn.steelseries.com/userguides/Support/AVOID_USING_THESE_USB_CONNECTIONS.jpg

NOTE: If you do plan to change ports, first uninstall the SteelSeries Engine with the devices plugged into their original ports that you had them plugged into during installation.

That is an awful lot of strange issues/requirements. I guess I was fortunate to not have changed USB ports while writing my review of the mouse.

That is an awful lot of strange issues/requirements. I guess I was fortunate to not have changed USB ports while writing my review of the mouse.

Actually that's not all of it...Here's the entire "solution"

Randall B, Mar 11 11:56 am (CDT):

Please take the following steps

1. Refer to the picture in the link below and make sure that you are not plugged in to any of these places. The USB 3.0 port is OK to use but try using both a 3.0 port and 2.0 port. Since 3.0 provides more power, it may be the better alternative.
http://cdn.steelseries.com/userguides/Support/AVOID_USING_THESE_USB_CONNECTIONS.jpg

NOTE: If you do plan to change ports, first uninstall the SteelSeries Engine with the devices plugged into their original ports that you had them plugged into during installation.

2. Make sure that your USB devices are set to be powered up at all times and that any power saving features are turned off.
Please refer to this thread for further information (steps 1 & 2 apply for all Windows OS, step 3 is ONLY for windows 7 users):
http://windows7themes.net/mouse-not-working-after-hibernation.html

3. Kill the SteelSeries engine process (steps below)
a) ctrl-alt-del -> processes tab
b) Find SteelSeriesEngine.exe and select 'end process'

4. Download the latest 'SteelSeries Firmware Update tool' from our website at: http://www.steelseries.com/downloads
Select your product and download the Firmware Update tool

If this does not help, please try another computer for the firmware upgrade. Please connect the device to a different Windows machine (or if you use bootcamp on Mac OSX for Windows do that), download SSE from:

Http://www.steelseries.com/downloads

Allow the firmware update to run. Once completed, you can use your device as usual.

Finally, there is one last way to possibly repair your mouse. Disconnect the mouse, and reconnect the mouse while holding the following buttons: left click, right click, and the CPI button. Wait a few seconds, and let go of the buttons. Your mouse should enter a "bootloader mode", indicated by a blinking light.

You may have to do this a few times - the first couple of times you may get the "USB Device not recognized" error message. However, it will work eventually. After it succeeds, launch the SteelSeries Firmware Repair Tool (you can find it by right clicking the System Tray icon in the bottom right corner) and perform a firmware upgrade.

Regards,
Randall B
SteelSeries Support

I NEVER had a problem with my Logitech MX500, it still works! I'm going to get my money back after a few more solutions.

The Sensei works as a general mouse w/out the software currently, but the SSEngine is used to customize its features etc

Wow, that is pretty bad. I can't believe they would put out a product that would have such specific guidelines and/or software that couldn't handle such simple tasks.

Wow, that is pretty bad. I can't believe they would put out a product that would have such specific guidelines and/or software that couldn't handle such simple tasks.

That's exactly what I was thinking too!! Granted this mouse (it has the computing power of Pentium hah) is NOT the same at all as my Logitech, but jeez, can't they put out something that works and is general. Uninstalling software just to try a new port..really??? C'mon!

That error message looks like it could be a permissions issue causing Windows to block some of it thus causing a crash.

I wasn't really sure...SO it's working for now, but I remain unconvinced until I run it through its paces. This is what I did.

That's what I thought too. I really don't know what its issue, so damn picky. My Logitech MX500 still works, and if I get more problems, I'm going to get a refund and use my old mouse, that I LOVE, or try another mouse ONE more time from them.

1. Uninstalled the software as instructed, w/mouse in original port.

2. Plugged in Logitech mouse so I could move my cursor

3. Temporarily turned off Kaspersky Anti Virus for duration of mouse software install

4. Right clicked and ran install software as "administrator"

5. After software was installed, the SSEngine opened up automatically

6. Inserted mouse into rear (as ALWAYS) USB3.0 port. This port is different, the port configuration is USB3.0/USB3.0/NIC card port. The mouse is in the first USB3.0 port, NOT in the middle.

7. I played w/the SSEngine software, by the way, it's not the fastest, it does run quite slow at times!!

8. SSEngine icon appears in my sys tray of Win7, and is outlined in GREEN

I have NOT used it with a game yet, so I remain unsure if it's totally going to work.

Kaspersky is a suspect of your problem. :(

Not exactly, because I installed the software w/no problems the first time around w/KAV on..and a few weeks or months later SSEngine started acting up. Plus, I checked my KAV reports there's no mention of it blocking the software.

Not exactly, because I installed the software w/no problems the first time around w/KAV on..and a few weeks or months later SSEngine started acting up. Plus, I checked my KAV reports there's no mention of it blocking the software.

I have had nLite crash before with a .Net error, IIRC, because Kerio interfered.

Back