• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Unnamed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anonymous11

Registered
Unholy Lotus

Ok, so a bit of background. Every year I do a system update, usually to the tune of new ram and a video card one year, and a new Motherboard and processor the next.

This time I decided that my current system is still adequate and not in need of an upgrade, but I wanted it to become a new virtual host. I couldn't take my current game system and try to play virtually, so I decided it was time for a full new system.

Now on to the show:

Parts for this build:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i
Western Digital Black 1TB drive
SAMSUNG 840 120GB Drive
BitFenix USB3.0 Front-panel
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
2x GIGABYTE Radeon HD7970
Intel Core i7-3930K
SeaSonic Platinum-1000
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB quad channel kit
MountainMods U2UFO
Lamptron FCT Touch Fan Controller
9 yateloon highspeed fans
UV Cathodes
BitFenix Red LED Strips
and some Red/Black extension cables to help with cable management and color scheme.

So here are some pictures of (what I thought was an almost done build, haha silly me ended up RMAing the Mother Board and am awaiting it's replacement)

Parts for Photo's.
picture.php

picture.php

Motherboard set on removeable tray from U2UFO case .
picture.php

Case put together with Lamptron fan controller in place.
picture.php

Side shot with acrylic panel off, prior to mounting the fans.
picture.php

picture.php

Rear shot with tray out.
picture.php

Rear shot with tray in.
picture.php

Side shot with Tray in.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was about this point I power tested the board, fans started up like champs, board almost got to POST, and then... nothing.
Boo :rain:.
So RMA'd it, and decided to tear down the case to wire manage. I should have sleeved cables (because I have never done them before) and zip ties coming to help with that, should be here tomorrow.

picture.php

So now a look at the now empty case.

PSU out and a crappy included zip-tie holding some cables together.

picture.php

Parts strewn about, cleaned the TIM on the H100i.
picture.php

Empty MB tray.

picture.php

And for now that is all, more to come, this should be a long build with me eventually building a custom waterloop, and learning how to sleeve cables myself.

Finally, any thoughts on a name for the project are welcome, and any directions or insight are also welcome.

Last edited:
Sleeved Cables

Well, got my sleeved cables today, but due to Starcraft being released the other day, work with them will be pushed back until saturday. For now here some pics of them packaged, more will be added this weekend.

PC2013_17.jpg

PC2013_18.jpg

PC2013_19.jpg

Last edited:
Earlier in the Week I received my Motherboard finally. After installing everything to the bare tray and testing, everything worked.
So everything was installed in the case booted up got windows installed and went to turn on my UV cathodes and a capacitor in the inverter blew:(, so no UV lights, fortunately my red LED's are fine :thup:.

So on to the show.

100_1737.JPG

100_1743.JPG

100_1744.JPG

100_1745.JPG

100_1747.JPG

100_1748.JPG

100_1749.JPG

100_1750.JPG

100_1751.JPG

100_1752.JPG

100_1753.JPG

100_1754.JPG

100_1755.JPG

100_1756.JPG

100_1757.JPG

100_1758.JPG

100_1759.JPG

100_1760.JPG

Eventually there will be a custom loop installed, better wire management, and some other tinkering here and there.

Last edited:
Your images don't seem to be working. The URLs you have in your post are invalid.

Well that's dumb. I will have to redo them tomorrow.

Edit: Photo's have been re-attached and should now work. Not sure what went wrong, but oh well.

Last edited:
It is large, until you are working inside of it, and then it gets full fast, I wonder if I should have went with the extended or Ascension. Overall I like the quality of this case.

As of this moment my motherboard RMA is being denied due to bent pins in the socket, which when I sent it back there weren't any physical issues... great, nor was that the issue I had. So now I will see what holding on the phone will net me.

And got told by one of Neweggs phone supervisors that there will be no negotiation, no overturns, this is a denial and that is all. I think this effectively ends my newegg account for good, it's too bad, I spend a lot of money there, at least a couple grand a year.

I will again, I went through them for support in the first place and they suggested the RMA through Newegg as it would be quicker. It is also the reason I call BS on "Bent CPU Pins" as the cause for denial, as this was not an issue is the diagnosis.

Well, got the old board back today, and created a case with ASUS, we shall see how this goes, looks like a couple more weeks till this build is done. On the plus side, Bioshock releases Tonight/Tomorrow and I am stoked for it.

Update:

After creating a case with ASUS and posting on Newegg's Facebook page, a new RMA was created as an "Exception", so back to Newegg the defective motherboard went. Then I waited. Yesterday the new board arrive, as soon as I got home, I got it installed and tested and it worked. I then took the time to connect everything up (almost done, and photos will be provided later) it is coming along wonderfully I must say, and I cannot wait to show it off.

Posts 1,2,and 3 have all the published photos for this project.

Last edited:
Back