• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Original drivers/settings to othrer WinXP installation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B-Tec

Registered
Hey.
Playing around with an old hardware and got a problem with its old software. I installed Windows XP 32bit on a Hewlett Packard (HP) 3200+ PC system, but on a 2x faster, 150gb sata: 3Gps/sec HD! ;) Processor is a 1.99 Ghz AMD Athlon socket 939. Motherboard: "MS-7184 ver. 1" The problem is that it seems like the Windows doesent have lots of drivers installed. CPU usage is allmost at max: 90-100% all the time. On task manager I see no processes causing it and even the task manager is taking 20-30%. Setups and transfers from external data sources is slowly possible and I still have the original HP Windows installed on the other HD! Im missing something simple, Right?

Can I copy the PC settings/drivers from the original HP's windows istallation?
Can I update my new installation in other ways?
The HP Installation CD is missing a long time ago.

Didn't help w/ what, the high CPU usage? If that's the case, the try either a Diagnostic or Selective startup using the MS Config. utility (msconfig.exe) to perform a clean boot. Under the General tab select either Diagnostic startup or Selective startup (make sure "Load system services" and "Use Original BOOT.INI" are checked), then click the Services tab--> click to select the "Hide All Microsoft Services" check box--> click Disable All--> click OK--> restart your PC. You should be able to narrow down the cause of the high CPU usage using this method.

Last edited:
There is no running process that cause this. Nothing that I could see. Well Im giving back this PC of ages of the millennium to my mother with its SLOW, original Win XP. Would have been very fast machine for her internet and media using (added sound and hd4770).

I once tried to install my win7-64b on this machine and it was too slow to use. I think it was the same issue.

Back