• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus M5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
Good day. I`m having a bit of trouble with my M5A99X evo. When installing my ghetto moded K920, i had some spillage on the mobo. I cleaned it with 90% iso alcohol, and let it dry. after 12-16 hours. It will not start, green led is on but no luck. Even when it starts after 30-40 tryes , the CPU_LED is on. What can i try to breathe some life into it?

PS:
The PSU is working i can jump-start it.
I dont have other mobo or cpu to try and figure out what is the problem.

Should i just get a new mobo?

Was the board runnning when the ghetto spillage occurred? If so then it could have shorted something and will not run again.

If it was not running then on the top rack of the dishwasher for a short wash cycle; no soap might, remove any residue and the board work again. It will have dry for a day anyway in the sun preferred.
RGone...

it was off, but before i noticed the spillage i turned it on. after that it still worked on 2 ocasions , 1 to the windows screen after POST and one went 1 full boot(everything worked) after those nothing. Could an iso bath help(my dish washer has a name: Mom XD)? You think i could succesfully RMA it?

If I were the RMA technician and saw it had been wet, I would deny the repair. Nothing that happened is the board maker's fault.

Take it to a friends house with dishwaser and put on top shelf for short run with no soap and dry in sun for a day if possible.
RGone...

I spilled a little and it landed on my video card and refused to boot.
I thought it was the board for a day or two till i tore it down and found it residue on the card and in the pcie slot.
cleaned it out with brake cleaner from the auto parts store, set it in the sun for a few hours and it was as good as new.

what was the ghetto mod for the 920?
I am thinking of a hybrid 920-zalman reserator for mine.

well its a k920 + a coolit eco alc rad and mayhem x1 liquid. :)

how did it not eat the vid card? i thought brake cleaner is kind of "nasty".

PS: forgot to ask. the only diff between a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 and Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 is the NB, right? i cen get one for 75-80$. :D

Last edited:
how did it not eat the vid card? i thought brake cleaner is kind of "nasty".

I think you're confusing cleaner with fluid. Brake cleaner comes in a spray can, used for getting grease and oil off brake parts. Has a very low flash point so dries very quickly. It would be alot like contact cleaner electricians use.

ok.got it to start. dunno what i did but it starts. now i just have to make it post :D . CPU_LED is still on.

Was the spill anywhere near the 8pin CPU cable . Maybe you're not getting good contact in the plug

not really. more like the socket and under it. but i`m gonna see what can i do with that 8 pin. maybe i`ll let the board soak in some 90%alcohol for 3-4 hours.

PS added photo of spillage area

Attachments

• images.JPG
    images.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 241
UPDATE: they could not fix the board so the store gave me back the money to get a new one+ as it turned out the cpu went out too so money back on that also. So i got a new mobo +cpu. A 990FXA UD3 and a new vishera(8350) with only a 15$ extra.:bday: I guess the tech guy liked that i gave him clean parts to work with and waited peciently for them to call.
Any pointers or tips on the new mobo? Or just use the old saying "if it ain`t poping,smoking or crackling it`s not good"?

Any pointers or tips on the new mobo? = Yes. Keep the coolant off the board while running so shorting of running components does not occur.

I have two or three failry long threads in the AMD cpu forum section or the AMD mobo section about what my particular FX-8350 was able to do on my CHV mobo and I think Vcore I used and other similar points of ineterest maybe shown.
RGone...

Any pointers or tips on the new mobo? = Yes. Keep the coolant off the board while running so shorting of running components does not occur.

I have two or three failry long threads in the AMD cpu forum section or the AMD mobo section about what my particular FX-8350 was able to do on my CHV mobo and I think Vcore I used and other similar points of ineterest maybe shown.
RGone...

ok RGone, will look into that. Now i only need help on decoding TMPIN readings for this giga board heard this:
TMPIN0=System
TMPIN1=Socket
TMPIN2=NB

But my guess is that on the newer Rev3 board
TMPIN0=System
TMPIN1=NB
TMPIN2=Socket

Please give me "your 2 cents"

Attachments

• 990UD3hwmon.JPG
    990UD3hwmon.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 990UD3cpuz.JPG
    990UD3cpuz.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 219
TMPIN0=System
TMPIN1=Socket
TMPIN2=NB

That is what the older Rev's checked out to be and with your TMPlNx temps so close together and the Max Package temp showing 255c, there is little way to know what is what.
RGone...

And your +12v and +3v are also way off on HWmonitor, so check it out first on your BIOS and use another temp and voltage monitoring software to see how it reads. OpenHardwareMonitor is pretty good as well.

i checked all the rails with a multimeter when my asus died and they are fine. it`s a gigabyte thing. sh*tty bios programing,temp readings, etc....

. it`s a gigabyte thing. sh*tty bios programing,temp readings, etc....

That is the very reason I cannot get on the Giga-wagon. The 1.1 REV boards seemed fair if not stellar. Now the REV 3.0 things are all over the map again. Just not fun to use for me. I hope you get it sorted. If not fully sorted, at least good and usable.
RGone...

It`s usable at 4.2-4.4 but thats it. When the new gen 8xxx FX`s come out ill replace the mobo too and i will seriously set the giga on fire. A little ligher fluid and burn baby burn,unless they fix the issues by then (although i don`t see it happening).

Yeah, I just do not undestand these companies. The 970 UD3 had no APM Disable in bios. They had to revise the PCB to get APM Disable, so they came with the 1.1 and it worked okay just the VRM is all over the place. Judicious tweaking and you could do fair. Now I am seeing users with a Deneb having problems with the Rev 3.0. That just does not make sense at all.
RGone...

Back