• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus M5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The rev3 came out because the r2`s had fets blowing up and usually took the CPU with them.(you know the magic smoke that makes them run escaped :D). But atleast it`s a sexy looking mobo all black like that.
If you wish i can make a list of whats wrong.

Will post the list when i`m home. Btw i found dry ice for sale 18 kg pack 100$ and ln2 20l at the price o 400$ What are the prices in the US?

Crap been so long since I checked on DICE the big ice house we had here has even closed. So I would have to start all over to find supply in this town I live in. Maybe someone that uses it all the time will see this post.
RGone...

The list:
1. No APM disable option

2.Voltages are wonky
example: i am runnin VID+0.050v in bios and in cpu-z the voltage is just VID no added 0.050...not even when the load comes on

3. It`s a very hot running mobo

4.double POST sort-of
example: i turn it on ,works 3 secs then off ,after 10 secs automatic on

5.heatsinks are not really attached i can move them with 1 finger.

6.LLC very wonky
example: regular gives me more juice then extreme

7.BIOS goes back to default every now-and-then

8.incorrect voltages shown in HWmon

9.no socket temp as far as i can figure, or maybe just bad sensor

Man that just sucks.
The list:
1. No APM disable option << H*ll yes. Take that option out and the FETs should not blow-up as much. Take the option out instead of upsizing the VRM circuit. Yeah man!!!

2.Voltages are wonky
example: i am runnin VID+0.050v in bios and in cpu-z the voltage is just VID no added 0.050...not even when the load comes on << Should only come on when loaded. Awesome it never raises the Vcore.

3. It`s a very hot running mobo << No idea why!!!

4.double POST sort-of
example: i turn it on ,works 3 secs then off ,after 10 secs automatic on << That is just great!!!

5.heatsinks are not really attached i can move them with 1 finger. << That maybe why the board seems to run hot. Not putting heat into the case for the Case air to blow out of the case!!!

6.LLC very wonky
example: regular gives me more juice then extreme << That I understand as it is just working backwards to what one expects. LLC is 'supposed' to keep the Vcore from going WAY OVER the Vcore set in bios. So IF you set EXTREME it will keep the Vcore closer to setting in bios and not let it overshoot so far. Regular allows overshoot!!!

7.BIOS goes back to default every now-and-then << Probably because of one or two things. 1. > Wonderful Giga Dual-Beos. 2. > Board settings feel shakey to bios "check" as it begins boot and so it just Auto resets bios to default. You might be able to actually "tune" that out!!!

8.incorrect voltages shown in HWmon << Sensor chip used on mobo is not calibrated corretly!!!

9.no socket temp as far as i can figure, or maybe just bad sensor << I think it is there but just not listed as the same one we have seen the UD3 boards using previously. Gone crappy like the MSI boards!!!

be that as it may, it`s still a POS mobo. should have waited for an asus mobo.....

in the screenie all the voltages are just so strange.
I really think you should change boards, 8v on the 12v rail!!!!! it can't even post at that.

So... let's think a second. If a board cant even post like that and it is... that means the readings are erroneous. Erroneous readings are usually the software. That said, why would we be getting another board?

Please read my previous post. :)

If a board cant even post like that and it is... that means the readings are erroneous. Erroneous readings are usually the software.

Software readings are usually garbage. You are spot on in the fact that 8v likely wouldnt post, but it is posting so it cant be right.

Gentlemen oh gentlemen, "tungureanu" has been dealing with the board he got as replacement for a dead Asus 990FX EVO and got money refunded and there were no Asus boards in stock at the time. So he went ahead with the Giga board in REV 3.0 which is pretty much showing itself to be a pain. He regrets having bought it and feels in his mind that he should have waited on another Asus motherboard. That fact will not change in his mind.

He has already posted that he has checked his power supply rails with a DVM and they are fine. He is not put off by the odd stuff showing in HWMonitor but rather the way in which the board acts overall. That he cannot fix with another version of software.

He is going to buy another motherboard when the next cpu iteration comes from AMD. He is satisfied as he knows he can be until that time. Thanks.
RGone...

Thank you RGone for the summary. couldn't have said it better myself.

Oh and btw, when i will have some freetime available i will replace the plastic heatsink holders with some screws i have left from my old zalman 9700 heatsink. hope that will fix it. although the heatsink is so hot i can barely touch it.

The conclusion: Stay away from rev3 gigabyte amd mobos ud3 and ud5

maybe i will get an asrock or MSI next. who knows?

EDIT: I found the sabertooth r2 on stock. Now i have a choice between the Saber , gd80 and extreme4. And this ud3 will become a mom-box/nas with a cheap Phenom II/Athlon II

Last edited:
stuck in maryland.? i was once stuck in waldorf maryland.
I still find the hardware monitor readings very strange.

Of course any board can be defective.

1. The Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is a known value.

2. The MSI GD80 is an unknown but there is user right now that is having serious problems with a G65. Even in the MSI forum they suggested only the G65 or GD80 but his G65 has n0 provision for disabling APM and so far he has said he cannot find CPU_LLC in his bios. I would stay the heck away from MSI. We have only now seen 10 of any version of MSI in the AMD cpu section and only two have been sorted fairly well. Poor odds to date.

3. The Asrock EXT 3 and EXT 4 in 970 chipset version are just real bow wows for FX processor and certainly for 8 core FXs. Not something you want to put an FX-8350 in. Probably the 990FX EXT 4 and the brand new EXT 9 would be pretty good options.
RGone...

C_D calm down. since the bios update it reads the correct voltages only with a - in front :rofl:

oh and i found a FormulaV used for sale at the same money as the new saber. now how do i choose?

C_D calm down. since the bios update it reads the correct voltages only with a - in front :rofl:

oh and i found a FormulaV used for sale at the same money as the new saber. now how do i choose?

How much less do they want for it than a new Sabertooth. What is the reason for selling. Going Intel is the best answer or maybe came on hard times. Any other answer is suspicious in my mind. I am suspicious of used. Heck I sold used cars for a few years. Hehehe

If I was buying a used board from C_D, I would know it was used hard but he would not sell it to me if it was bad. Or if he knew it was bad. So where the board comes from makes a difference to me.

Crap what a decision. I would hate for you to get something someone else tore up, but a good CHV is about as awesome as the AMD boards get in todays world. In he forum here "mandrake4565" bought a CHV used in the forum for sale area and he is d*mn well pleased though. So there is bound to be good used stuff out there.
RGone...

i did not spoke with the guy, but he has only 2-3 bad transactions out of 60. Plus he will only sell the board with testing,with 17 months left of warranty and full retail package.And he only deals with mobos and cpus

the prices:
new saber- 223 dollars
used CHV- 213 dollars
new 990Ext4- 195 dollars
new GD80- 230 dollars

Back