• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD, Can't Install 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lutsk

Hey guys,

So here I am desktopless since 2 weeks trying to solve my issue.

It started when I was simply browsing with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit operating system when I got a sudden BSOD since a long time. I thought it was my RAM finally acting up but the BSOD error message wasn't the usual Physical Memory Dump line. Instead, it says "Ntfs.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" "Technical information: *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF8A000B7BFF8, 0x00000000000000, 0xFFFFF88001E214E0, 0x00000000000000000)'' I paid the error code no mind, tried rebooting my computer but I can't ever get passed the Windows logo loading screen where it gives me the same BSOD right after. I was using one Corsair Vengeance RAM stick of 4GB at 1333MHz speed, tried switching it slots, tried the other RAM stick instead, tried em both on, nothing would do.

So I looked into the error message and read somewhere that it could be related to Hard Drive failure. I tried booting in safe mode but when loading the command lines on black screen, it always stops at "Windows/system32/DRIVERS/disk". So I thought my main SSD 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 drive was corrupted and decided to format it and reinstall Win7. It lets me choose which operating system I want, copies the files and all before telling me it needs to restart to complete installation but when it does, I get the stuck in the same loophole problem again where the BSOD appears after Windows logo.
Thinking that my SSD has gone defective, I switch to my Samsung HDD and format, install Windows7 there. Nope, same problem happens too.

So I went to a retail store, bought 2 different pairs of RAM sticks as opposed to my Corsair Vengeance (Crucial and G.Skill Ripjaws X), tried em all with only one RAM stick, different slots, or both of them together, I still get the same problem..

I asked one of my friends to let me borrow a motherboard he wasn't using (Asus P8Z68-V LE) that I switched from my Asus P8P67 Deluxe which I set all BIOS to default for sure. That didn't solve my problem either.

I used two old HDDs that were lying around at my house and another WD one that I bought from the store, formatted them and installed Windows7 too but still same problem. I also noticed some other error appearing while I was trying to boot after install and it says "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Verification of a knownDLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with status of 0xc0000020 (0x8f559c40 0x000000000). The system has been shut down." Also, when trying to boot in safe mode, it sometimes stops at Windows/system32/DRIVERS/ClassPNP.sys instead of disk at the end depending on which HDD I use.

In the end, I tried all combinations possible (different MoBo, different RAM brands single stick and different HDDs). Nothing that can let me boot up from a fresh installation.

But what's strange is that I can install 32bit operating system with no problem when booting up. I can access everything normally at that point. So since I can boot from a 32bit but not 64bit, it has something to do with my RAM, right? I have tried over 3 different brands though and intend to try some Kingston now without much hope. I really need to use the 64bit version.

I also tried installing Windows 7 64bit from 2 different DVDs with each a different source.

Any ideas?

Original Setup:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe (default) (Now using Asus P8Z68-V LE default)
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333MHz 2x4GB 8-8-8-2400
i7-2600K default 3.4GHz (was at 4.8GHz stable)
GTX 670 Gigabyte

It looks like you've tried just about everything except a different PSU. What's the current model, and do you have the additional 4/8-pin EATX12V power plug attached to the board?

looks like a psu issue, not a mb/ram/hd.

If your psu is going it won't get consistent voltage, and as a result your system probably is getting undervolted when its under anything resembling load; which will cause all sorts of GPU/CPU/RAM issues. You did everything right, even made a great first 2 shots at the problem by going after the HD and Ram. As that's probably where i would have gone first.

at this point there are only 2 parts left it could be. The PSU and the CPU. my money is on the PSU since its behaving like a dying psu.

Psu or CPU could be going south since you did not mention trying a different CPU given the symptoms booting 32 bit but not 64 bit sounds like memory controller could have issues and I would start there. GL

I thought it was my RAM finally acting up but the BSOD error message wasn't the usual Physical Memory Dump line. Instead, it says "Ntfs.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Wrong. A "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" BSOD usually is unstable RAM. Or a bus stability issue.

0x00000050 is an ominous one. Usually get that when I OC my RAM too much or a glitch with the RAM.

That dump line you're talking about just means that it's logging crash information when any type of BSOD occurs.

It looks like you've tried just about everything except a different PSU. What's the current model, and do you have the additional 4/8-pin EATX12V power plug attached to the board?

looks like a psu issue, not a mb/ram/hd.

If your psu is going it won't get consistent voltage, and as a result your system probably is getting undervolted when its under anything resembling load; which will cause all sorts of GPU/CPU/RAM issues. You did everything right, even made a great first 2 shots at the problem by going after the HD and Ram. As that's probably where i would have gone first.

at this point there are only 2 parts left it could be. The PSU and the CPU. my money is on the PSU since its behaving like a dying psu.

Psu or CPU could be going south since you did not mention trying a different CPU given the symptoms booting 32 bit but not 64 bit sounds like memory controller could have issues and I would start there. GL
Wow PSU really. You guys just raised my hope there! I'll see if tweaking around with the power plugs might change anything. I'll hate myself if it's the CPU though. I'm using a Kingwin LZG-1000 PSU for a year and half by the way and i'm not sure about that additional power cable, I'll check my PSU box where I left the rest of the stuff. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Edit: The 4/8-pin EATX12V power plug attached to the PSU is the first one that can't be removed, right? If so then yes.

Wrong. A "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" BSOD usually is unstable RAM. Or a bus stability issue.

0x00000050 is an ominous one. Usually get that when I OC my RAM too much or a glitch with the RAM.

That dump line you're talking about just means that it's logging crash information when any type of BSOD occurs.
Oh okay, somehow that reassures me. =)

Last edited:
So I bought a brand new 520W Dynex PSU, plugged in everything, the problem still persists.

Now, when trying to reinstall Windows 7, it won't even let me select which operating system I want to select with either 3 different DVDs of Windows7 from different sources, it will BSOD right after the "Windows is loading files" bar and Windows loading logo saying again "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..." Technical information error code "*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000003, 0x82902D40, 0x82902EAC, 0x8BC35D50)".

As well as the other BSOD shorter version saying "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The verification of a KnownDLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000221 (0x8F230818 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

The error codes number digits keep changing with every BSOD. If that tips off a hint, I don't know what it is.

Guys, I tried EVERYTHING aside from a different CPU. I'm on a verge of becoming an alcholic. :)

Burned. It worked flawlessly for several months and then my computer just suddenly gives me those constant BSODs. I highly doubt it has something to do with my copy being legit or not.

Update:

1. I tried booting from USB instead of DVD.
2. Disconnected my optical drive when booting.
3. Switching from AHCI to IDE in BIOS.

Still fruitless.

So I bought a brand new 520W Dynex PSU, plugged in everything, the problem still persists.

Now, when trying to reinstall Windows 7, it won't even let me select which operating system I want to select with either 3 different DVDs of Windows7 from different sources, it will BSOD right after the "Windows is loading files" bar and Windows loading logo saying again "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..." Technical information error code "*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000003, 0x82902D40, 0x82902EAC, 0x8BC35D50)".

As well as the other BSOD shorter version saying "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The verification of a KnownDLL failed. system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000221 (0x8F230818 0x00000000). The system has been shut down."

The error codes number digits keep changing with every BSOD. If that tips off a hint, I don't know what it is.

Guys, I tried EVERYTHING aside from a different CPU. I'm on a verge of becoming an alcholic. :)

time to try a new cpu.

not 100% that's the issue... but it's the only consistent factor left at this point.

It could be a video problem, where the card or its memory won't accept 64bit instructions but is ok with 32 bit ones.

0xc0000221 is also an error you get when you install the wrong driver. In this case it might be the wrong video driver is being installed or the driver can't talk to the video card at the 64bit level due to a card malfunction.

Does the error happen before you install the video drivers or only after?

Try using a different, simpler video card.

Since it started months after a good install, it sounds like something is going south. I'm guessing the video card.

Last edited:
Sigh, turns out it was my CPU after all.

This was the last piece of my whole computer that I had to switch, I don't know if I should feel happy or depressed. A little bit of both I guess. RMA'ing time.

Thanks for the help guys.

Stuff happens, glad we could help.. even if it was bad news. My condolences for your loss just part of the risk we take when we increase voltage, speed and heat output in general :shrug:

Sigh, turns out it was my CPU after all.

This was the last piece of my whole computer that I had to switch, I don't know if I should feel happy or depressed. A little bit of both I guess. RMA'ing time.

Thanks for the help guys.

sorry we couln't help you diagnose it faster. Its rare a CPU goes like that. Usually when they break they simply don't work. You can't get the PC to POST, let alone get partway into a new OS install.

but then you never know and every breakdown is a bit different. That's why you test each part of your system to nail down the problem. If you don't do this sort of thing meticulously, you won't find the problem.

Yeah anyways, the Intel representative I spoke on the phone with told me that memory speed shouldn't go over 1333MHz when using Sandybridge, 1600MHz will damage it in the long run. Whereas Ivybridge tolerates 1600MHz but not higher. Might have been that or my stable 4.8GHz that killed it.

Back