• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Helping a friend with a case mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wa11y

Senior Thread Hijacker
I'm posting this for a...uh...friend. Yeah. 'Cause I'm not a spaz with a dremel like he is. Anyway, here's what I'm, uh, HE'S dealing with. In the attached pics is his case front. I, that is, HE is putting an external "Hoot Chute" in to accomidate his two front 80mm fans. Problem is, as you can see, is he forgot to measure twice and cut once. Not like me. I always remember to do that.

Anyway, what I..HE (damn!) wants to do is find something to fill those gaps around the cuts in with. At first, he though Caulk would be a good idea. But it never got hard, just kinda stayed soft. And it didn't really sand down well. I was at an auto shop recently, and saw some Bondo, and thought that might work for his problem, but I wasn't sure. Anyone have any ideas on what can be used to fill these gaps? The bezel is a bit curved so it has to be able to be formed and perhaps sanded down. Colors not a big deal, so long as it takes painting well.

Uh.…tell your friend that cyber mouse45 thinks that Bondo might work. It dries hard, and it sands down pretty good too. Oh, and next time he should be more careful. :p :D

If this happened to me, I would try to build a flange for your plastic shroud piece out of some fiberglass sheets and resin to fit the hole that is cut.

You uh i mean your friend could also try fiberglass. That sands very well after a few layers and you could use a form to make the whole thing out of fiberglass if you i mean uh your friend wishes to do so...you i mean uh your friend could even use their dremel tool to recut the holes in the fiberglass if you i mean he wanted to start all over again. Oh and it takes paint well once it's sanded flat just fine.

The power of the dremel is strong in this one. With the right Jedi training the force can mold anything. Follow the light Luke...literally.. i want to see sparks next time. :D

Yeah, your "friend" can use bondo for that. Slip a piece of aluminum flashing in between the plexi and the case front so you're not using so much...Bondo it flush, then start cutting over again.

Tip 1: If you're using bondo over 1/4" thick, you can use the fiberglash mesh type drywall tape to reinforce it. Thick applications like to crack later if the panel will get any flex or vibration to it. It's cheap too. Just cut the pieces to size and 'bed' it into the bondo like you were drywalling.

Tip 2: If you want a round hole, you can tape in a paper or cardboard ring (paper cups work), so that you don't have to start completely over again. Just tape the ring to the backing material, and bondo around it. Then your neat looking hole is already there when the sanding is done.

Good luck to ya, you and your "friend" will laugh about this later.:beer:

Haha, a little :beer: when you were working with the dremel, there, Wally? :p

Why don't you just save that glass for another mod, and get yourself a new sheet?

fuzzba11 said:
Haha, a little :beer: when you were working with the dremel, there, Wally? :p

Why don't you just save that glass for another mod, and get yourself a new sheet?

It wasn't me! I swear it wasn't!

And the duct is kinda one size only, because it's a tupperware bowl I cut up. Uh, that he cut up. I didn't cut it.

Looks like I'll be hitting the autoparts store for some bondo and such. Thanks for the recommendations, all.

When I cut my window in my case out, I got a little happy with the die grinder, and took out an abnormal chunk of metal. Nothing huge, but enough to see that it was haxored. Well, I looked around the shop and found some rubber molding. At the time no one put any kind of molding aroudn their window mods. I did it to hide my mistake....LOL

The Modfather said:
When I cut my window in my case out, I got a little happy with the die grinder, and took out an abnormal chunk of metal. Nothing huge, but enough to see that it was haxored. Well, I looked around the shop and found some rubber molding. At the time no one put any kind of molding aroudn their window mods. I did it to hide my mistake....LOL

Did you LOOK at how badly that cut is messed up? NO amount of rubber moulding will fix that. It's a pretty crappy cut.

I'm going to give the Bondo a try. Any special instructions from any gear heads who may have used it before?

Back