• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS mobo 2 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fantasyjunkie

Registered
Hello! Me again I was just wondering what CPU fan (FM2 Socket) && Video/Graphics card would be ideal for gaming, and would go with the the mother board of course. I have a ASUS F2A85-V PRO.

Thank you!

Jae

For the CPU cooler pretty much anything supporting AMD will work, they pretty much have the same socket layout all around. As for the GPU, FM2 doesn't support PCI-e 3.0, but that doesn't change anything at all : you can just buy anything you feel like, it will work just fine. The extra bandwith of PCI-e 3.0 has yet to be used by most games anyway, so you won't miss anything. Most of us are still happily running on PCI-e 2.0.

I use 7770hd vid cards, easy on the budget, easy on the power supply.
they are low end but do the job for me.

Can you recommend any brand names to supplers i should look at. There are so many that my brain hurts after a while lol. :screwy:

With that PSU you can run pretty much any dual cards setup...

As for brands, I guess Evga for Nvidia cards, or Sapphire for Radeon, but it doesn't matter much, really. I would avoid Power Color, and to a certain extent, MSI, but any other I think have their benefits. I usually buy Gigabyte, they have a good offer and decent price, and I pulled out a couple of their old cards (the newest was five years old) from dead systems that were never maintained, that I've used back in some stations at work, they run perfectly well and even found updated drivers for Win 7 and Win 8 on their website. But I guess the brand you should choose depends mostly of what you intend to do : try to overclock the hell out of it? I guess some brands would do better at that, I wouldn't know, me I just plug it in and keep the drivers updated - not a tough job, the software does that for you.

Why wouldn't it? I reused a six years old Gigabyte GT card on a MSI FX board with PCI-e 3.0 support just two weeks ago. It's the same slot, all PCI-e cards. You won't have any problem with that HD 6770 nor any other card. As a matter of fact, both your board and your old card are PCI-e 2.0. The card is 2.1 enabled, that's all.

The 6770 should even work in crossfire with the integrated GPU inside the APU processor. Jae, tell us about your RAM. What frequency is it and how much of it is there. The integrated GPU uses system ram so the faster the ram is the better for the video performance. Please tell us more about your system in general. Which APU model are you running? Are you using the stock cooler that came with the APU? What make and model case do you have and how many case fans do you have for ventilation?

My Ram is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series & I have 4 of them in totally. It's what my old mobo could handle. I JUST got the motherboard. I haven't turned it on yet, because I don't have the CPU fan. But it honestly only has two fans. I usually just leave the panels on the case off.

Back