• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shared memory clarification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

byron182

I just finished installing my new Mobo, a Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3 rev 3.0. with 8 gigs of Ballistics rams. I was wondering if having a 3831mb of Shared memory is okay? or do I need to lower it?

Shared memory with what? If that is for integrated graphics or the 5970, I'd lower it as much as possible since you have a dedicated card.

"Shared" doesn't mean it is not available for applications to use in this case. It's not being pulled out of the memory pool and made unavailable to apps like it is with the AMD APU series of processors that actually use system memory for video. What you see is normal behavior for Win 7 and Win 8. This has been a great source of consternation for many but just ignore it. If you were to install 8 more gigs of ram, the OS would report an even higher amount of "shared" memory. It's just smoke and mirrors.

I was just a bit alarmed coz my previous build with 4G rams only shared around 800MB. I'm satified with it anyway.

How's your new board doing trents? I almost RMA this one. I finally got it to post by using the other PCIex16 slot.

Yeah, the more ram you add the more Win 7 and Win 8 claim as "shared", proportionately so even.

Back