• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Search Within Text File/Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I'm looking for a way to search for data within a text file. I'm a CNC Programmer and I have G-Code programs with specific codes I would like to search for and I can't find a way to get this done. I'd also like to be able to search within Excel files for specific terms as well. I've googled this and have yet to find a solution for this type of search, is this even possible with windows? I use Notepad++ to access these programs but any editor will work. Below is an example of the code, lets say I want to find all the programs that I'm using a G73?
Code:
M31 
G00 G17 G40 G80 G90 
N4 
T4 M06 
( OPERATION 1, HOLES ) 
( ROUGH DRILL .752 DIA ) 
( TOOL 4, .75 DRILL ) 
G00 G54 G90 X0. Y0. A-180. S2500 M03 
G43 Z3. H04 M08 
G73 G98 X0. Y0. Z-0.0461 R1.28 Q0.2554 P0 F14. 
G80 G00 Z2. 
M09 
G91 G28 Z0.

Is that folder indexed? If so, it will search the contents.

You could enable the "Always search file names and contents" option in Search (Tools > Folder Options).

Wow, that was a fast response! :)
Yes, the folder is indexed and I have "Always search file names and contents" ticked. Still coming up with nothing. :shrug:

What's the extension of the file?

Under Control Panel->Indexing Options->Advanced->File Types, make sure the extension is there and set to "Index Properties and File Contents"

Also, Notepad++ does have multiple file search.

What's the extension of the file?

Under Control Panel->Indexing Options->Advanced->File Types, make sure the extension is there and set to "Index Properties and File Contents"

Also, Notepad++ does have multiple file search.

Well, that's embarrassing............ I've been using Notepad++ for years and I never saw that "Find In Files". Thank you, that solves my searching issue within text files.

How would I go about searching for words within an .XLS file? I'm in the process of creating an inventory of cutting tools we have in our job boxes and I would like to be able to search for ".693 reamer" and find which job box is holding that tool?

Like this:

kind:xls content:".693 reamer"

Can anyone with Windows 8 place a couple of xls files in a folder and do a search for an existing term within an .xls file, in that folder. This totally crashed my Windows 8 search but when I rebooted into Windows 7 - it executed fine.

Windows 7/8 Search is powerful, you need an advanced degree to know how to actually use it, and there is no GUI for even basic searches, but it is powerful... unreliable and powerful ;)

Back