• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU that can sustain 3/4 monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
Hey guys, currently running a gtx 460 and looking to upgrade my gpu just a bit in order to run 3 monitors concurrently... mostly for desktop usage and multitasking. I game but only a very little bit, right now just gw2, starcraft 2, and bf3 all of which my 460 handles very well for my needs. But I would really like to run 3 or more monitors at once, if I can sustain "eyefinity" or whatever that would be fine and dandy but this really isn't my main concern.

Would like to spend no more than about $200, need a card that can handle 3 or more outputs at the same time, would also need 4 connection slots as I will need to switch over to my TV when watching movies etc.

What would you recommend? More than likely going to purchase something used unless there is a crazy good shellshocker etc.

My current motherboard only has a single PCIe x16 slot so... I also don't mind buying a PCI card but no one can give me a straight answer and people keep linking me to $70 PCI cards which is a joke, I would rather just buy another 460 for a few bucks more you know?

Thanks

A $200 card wont play games well across 3 monitors.

PCI cards are less powerful than PCI cards.

Sapphire has 7870 Flex Edition which can run several monitors at once, and HIS has some cards that will as well. The problem here is gaming sometimes and the budget across those monitors. You may be better off getting another 460 really.

You also already have another thread created on this... keep it to one thread (just easier for everyone)...

Well I would rather have the other thread closed as it is very confusing and I can't seem to find a good answer to my problem, so I made this thread b/c I feel like I'll just have to get a new GPU. Not spending $70 on a PCI card just to add an extra monitor

Well what about like a 7850? Would this handle 3 monitors at once..gaming aside?

Some cheapO cards will handle it without gaming... For Sapphire look for the "Flex" series.

Okay so can you point me to a GPU (not PCIE x16 as I only have one) that will allow me to connect and support 1 or 2 monitors in addition to my current 460

I meant PCIe sorry...Well maybe I am confused, but my motherboard only has 1 PCIe x16...
and yes I see what you are saying.. but that has an interface of "PCI Express 2.1 x16" my 460 is already in the 2.0 x16 slot?

Can I add this in addition to my 460, just in another slot obviously and not the x16... if I did this how many monitors could I support at once? 4?

Square peg in to round hole, so nope (PCIe and PCI are different). PCI is an old spec and as such, not many GPU's are made currently for it.

Personally, if I was you, I would sell the 460 you have, and buy a Sapphire 7870 Flex. That can handle at least 3 monitors (I think 4) on one card.

Okay, you keep mentioning Flex what exactly is that? Yeah, I am trying to run 3 or 4 monitors w/o having to purchase a whole new GPU but its looking like I will have to

"Flex" is Sapphires nomenclature for cards that can support a few monitors with just one card.

I reviewed one last year sometime.

A $200 card wont play games well across 3 monitors.

PCI cards are less powerful than PCI cards.(you meanPCI and PCIe right?)

Sapphire has 7870 Flex Edition which can run several monitors at once, and HIS has some cards that will as well. The problem here is gaming sometimes and the budget across those monitors. You may be better off getting another 460 really.

You also already have another thread created on this... keep it to one thread (just easier for everyone)...

What about a motherboard with onboard graphics? Can intel motherboards support two displays or anything? Im thinking of going with the i5 3570k and would like to utilize two monitors in my 460 and two more in the moterboard if possible.. this seems like it would cost only a little more than getting a better GPU and allow me to upgrade my cpu/mobo

CPU graphics? I have no on board graphics that I am aware of

Phenom II x4 955BE cpu and m4a87td/usb3 mobo

You dont on that board...that gen of AMD CPUs did not have the built in GPU... and the board doesnt have it either.

Modern Intel and AMD CPU's have a GPU built in them. Not sure how it works with multiple monitors and a discrete GPU however.

If your really never going to game on more than 1 screen then a GTX 650 can match the performance of that 460 in games, and supports 3 or 4 screen output. Anything higher would be an upgrade from what you currently have.

On the AMD side of things a 7850 or higher would also satisfy your GPU needs and allow at least 4 monitors.

@EarthDog, you can actually game across multiple screens between the iGPU and a good Discrete card in windowed mode, BUT only the primary GPU will be doing the rendering, and the lesser GPUs only outputting to the screen. The exception is AMD Dual Graphics with an APU + 6670 where both GPUs would do the rendering, but APU+6670 is probably not as stout a solution as a single beefy GPU would be.

How does the 650 stack up against the 7850? And you say that both can output to 4 monitors correct?

The 7850 is significantly faster than a 650.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13797/geforce-gtx-650-ti-2gb-vs-radeon-hd-7850/

In theory a 7770 should be able to run 4x screens also, and is much closer in performance to the 650, but the price of a 7850 puts it in a more favorable position IMO. The exception here would be if you need PhysX or CUDA for something. If you need these things you would know about it im sure.

Back