• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG external pc control hub + wooden PC case (silent)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGuyMJP

I'm new here, so greetings!

Some time ago, I built myself a wooden PC case, in an effort to make a near-silent air-cooled pc.

The airflow path of a standard ATX case is less than ideal, so I designed the layout from scratch, endeavouring to have the most efficient airflow possible. Apparently, my final design is similar to that of the "Fortress FT02", which I didn't know about at the time. If you ask me, though, I think that mine has a more efficient airflow path. :D

It's not built for looks, as you can see:

woodenpccasematthewperk.jpg

(The cover is off, obviously. Notice the lack of optical drive and power buttons?)

However, looks don't matter as I built the PC to work in tandem with another project...

externalcontrolhubmatth.jpg

012externalcontrolhubma.jpg

My external control hub!

The hub provides access to all the ports and devices that would otherwise be locked to the computer's chassis, allowing the computer to be out of the way within a cupboard (with a few vent holes) in another room.

It took quite a lot of effort to build, but I learned a lot about electronics and woodwork in the process. With the final result looking like it does, computer fan noise no longer being audible, and having access to everything right on my desk, it was certainly worthwhile!

I have compiled the build process of both projects into two videos, so please have a look and tell me what you think! :D Comments much appreciated. These are my first 'modding' projects, and I'd appreciate any critique. Thanks for taking a look! :)

External Control Hub (build log) - YouTube

Wooden PC Case - YouTube

Very excellent look! Loved the videos too, nicely produced. If you were to work your way up to aluminum materials, I bet the market for a commercial offering would be substantial.

What's up buddy?

Hey, you're the guy on YouTube with the English accent, right? I saw your video on Bit-Tech - sweet!

Tbh, I kind of like the looks. The silk you wrapped on the foam gives the case a very interesting, how should I say it, "antique" look.

But anyways, have you considered a vinyl dye for the optical drive bezel? I know that's being particular, but it might give the face a more uniform look.

Very excellent look! Loved the videos too, nicely produced. If you were to work your way up to aluminum materials, I bet the market for a commercial offering would be substantial.

Cheers. :) I've been wondering about whether there'd be a market for them, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start, bar making a few myself and selling them on ebay.

Is there any particular reason why you mention aluminium? Is it generally perceived as more 'final product' than wood for this kind of thing? I like the wood look, personally, as it's half and half between technology and nature, and fits well on a wooden desk.

Would you know of any nice looking aluminium builds I could check out for inspiration? I would love to try out a different design at some point!

Edit: just realised you might be talking about the case rather than the hub! If you were, aluminium would be a lot better indeed! I only have the tools for working with wood (and even then they are hand tools, except for a drill), but maybe in the future I could try building an alu version.

What's up buddy?

Hey, you're the guy on YouTube with the English accent, right? I saw your video on Bit-Tech - sweet!

Tbh, I kind of like the looks. The silk you wrapped on the foam gives the case a very interesting, how should I say it, "antique" look.

But anyways, have you considered a vinyl dye for the optical drive bezel? I know that's being particular, but it might give the face a more uniform look.

Haha, yep, it's me! :) Vinyl dye? That would make it shiny/glossy right? What a good idea! I will have to look into that.

Back