• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

serrien1

Hello Everybody! so Im going to post what i plan for my next project here and see what you guys think.this is going to be a 24/7 machine but i plan on maxing it out under those restrictions. i plan on using an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z MB, with a AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz CPU, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 for the ram, a Samsung SSD for the hard drive, and i was thinking about crossfiring a couple ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II GPUs. This will all be going in a custom made case, made by me (possibly acrylic), and water cooled, with a possible upgrade to a water chiller setup. will this have much potential. I've only built one other system and this is defiantly a step up for me.

Well... you've picked top-of-the-line components. I'm not sure you "need" all of that for what you're doing - you haven't said exactly what you plan to do with this system, but that being said, there's not much a system like this couldn't do. If you intend to do a lot of benchmarking, that's a great board, otherwise its overkill.

What is your question?

thanks. ya i plan on doing benching with it, should have mentioned that. i Also work with 3D animation, Movies, 3D CAD, hoping i can get a bit better render times. i plan on starting "slow" with the overclocking sense this will be a 24/7 rig. but eventually i want to get a SS maybe even a cascade, but that's probably it, no DICE or LN2. i guess i just want to make sure that what im getting can handle anything. I've read reviews, but its always good to get input from pros. PS. there's no such thing as over kill! ;)

Just my two cents here- if you put another $100 ish dollars in, you could go Intel with something like a 3770K which in many cases outperforms the 8350 in gaming. If you want bleeding edge graphics, which the twin 7970s would suggest, then I'd go with a higher tier of CPU. The 4 intel cores do outperform the 4 AMD cores.

Hmmm.. Quite intriguing. You provide very valid points. Thanks, for making me want to get much more expensive stuff. (Drooling over i7 extreme now)

Back