• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard not booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trw009

So i just upgraded motherboards from the Asus M5A88 vEvo to the Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0. Got everything rdy to go, pretty easy swap. When i boot up nothing happens no BIOS just a blank monitor. Motherboard LED light is on as well as the CPU LED. Everything seems to be getting power but just wont seem to boot. Everything seems compatable. Ive tried booting using HDMI, DVI, and AVI all with no display. Here's what im running

AMD Phenom II x6 1100

NVIDIA gtx 660ti

Corsair Vengeance x2 4gb 1600mhz (cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b)

Corsair tx750w

OCZ 60gb ssd

2x WD 1tb hdd

Any help is appreciated

Make sure you have the cpu power cable plugged into the motherboard. Usually an 8 pin could be four pin. Make sure you have the auxilary PCIe power hooked up to the video card as well.

If all those secondary connections are okay and attached firmily then shut the power off to the motherboard such as unplug the power supply from the wall outlet or power strip or whatever. Then find the clear CMOS jumper if so equipped and put it on pins 2 and 3 for that is the clear CMOS position Take one stick of ram only and place it in the slot closest the cpu. This should take a couple of minutes to complete.

Now that all is done, put the Clear CMOS jumper back onto pins 1 and 2 the "use" computer mode. RE-apply power to the power supply and see if the symptoms have changed. If not try only the other stick of ram. If none of this helps or changes the symptoms, it might be the viideo card. I could be the motherboard and a real strong chance of it being the ram not in slot good or not campatible with the board.

However if you try reassembing it all again to the other board and all the new and older parts work in the other board, then it sounds like the new motherboard is faulty.
RGone...

+1 for ram not seated correctly or in wrong slots, this happens to me on a regular basis and 9times out of ten its the ram and the other time its that I have got the jumper still set to clear on the CMOS and it looks like its stuck on post, the first time I done this it took me hours to figure out :facepalm:

Make sure you have the cpu power cable plugged into the motherboard. Usually an 8 pin could be four pin. Make sure you have the auxilary PCIe power hooked up to the video card as well.

If all those secondary connections are okay and attached firmily then shut the power off to the motherboard such as unplug the power supply from the wall outlet or power strip or whatever. Then find the clear CMOS jumper if so equipped and put it on pins 2 and 3 for that is the clear CMOS position Take one stick of ram only and place it in the slot closest the cpu. This should take a couple of minutes to complete.

Now that all is done, put the Clear CMOS jumper back onto pins 1 and 2 the "use" computer mode. RE-apply power to the power supply and see if the symptoms have changed. If not try only the other stick of ram. If none of this helps or changes the symptoms, it might be the viideo card. I could be the motherboard and a real strong chance of it being the ram not in slot good or not campatible with the board.

However if you try reassembing it all again to the other board and all the new and older parts work in the other board, then it sounds like the new motherboard is faulty.
RGone...

Thanks man i swaped everything back with my old motherboard and it worked fine. so i figured id give the swap one more shot and it fired right up. must of had a loose connection somewhere.

i really apriciate the feedback man thanks

Back