• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speed up POST time for MSI 990FXA-GD80 (MS-7640)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jrd

Hello all, I am new to Over Clockers forum but not to building computers in general.

My latest build (made at the beginning of the year) is as follows:
Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Power Supply
MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Boot drive)
WD RE4 1 TB Enterprise Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD1003FBYX (Data Drive)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (Working on upgrading this now)
HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port

It is very fast compared to what I was using for years but I feel the bootup can be a little faster. The MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 seems to take 5-10 seconds or so (haven't timed it recently) before it starts to load windows, once windows starts to load it comes up in a few seconds.

So I am hoping you all can help me speed this up, thanks! If I have left anything out please let me know and I will try to fill in the gap promptly.

If you go through the bios a disable any thing you don't use that should speed it up some .
Like if you dont have any IDE drives disable it =)

Thanks, I will look for stuff like that.

Any tips from someone that has this board?

There isn't anything about IDE because my mobo doesn't support IDE drives.

I looked for anything that looked like a test to me but all of that was disabled.

From power button push to beep took 17 seconds during which time the screen had not been woken up yet. From power button to desktop took 40 seconds.

I still feel that 17 seconds could be shaved down a bit but I'm not sure how to do it.

Back