• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternatives to Asrock 970 extreme 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heronemisis

I placed an order on Amazon for half the parts of a PC build and the other half from newegg. Amazons taking forever to even ship the parts and my spring break is dwindling and I should have the newegg parts by tues. I want to go to fry's electronics, and as in the title, get an alternative to the Asrock 970ex4. It has to have a usb 3.0 header, a 970 or better chipset, crossfire capable and be good for OC'ing a FX-6300. I'd like 4 ram slots as well that can handle atleast 1600 ram, and pciexpress 16x on atleast 1 slot. Price has to be under 120$ as well.

Here's the refined search: http://www.frys.com/search?query_st...ort=price asc&start=0&cat=-69574&from=0&to=24

I'll be comparing and looking at reviews, but I'm pretty noob when it comes to hardware as this is for my first build. Thanks in advance any suggestions! :D

Helping day in and day out in the AMD CPU forum section, we have not seen more than 6 to 8 MSI AMD motherboards in the last two years. They just don't seem to be up to the task since many are now using FX-series processors. YMMV but for sure you will be using a class of motherboard with next to none of the helpers in the AMD CPU forum section that use or seems would use.
RGone...

EDIT:
For serious overclocking of an FX-6300 the Asrock 970Ext4 would certainly not be the choice either. Asrock's cheaper entry level 970 motherboards do not seem to have a very substantial VRM setup. Asrock does have what "on paper" seems to be a better built, 990FX Ext4 motherboard. Maybe the place you wish to buy from has the better Asrock mobo.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
In the price rang of that MSI board you could get the M5A99FXpro you see in my sig or for a few bucks more the Sabretooth. I'm certain the M5A would work with the 6300 no problems but if you think you may upgrade to an 8 core at some point spend the extra $20 now and get something beefier like the Sabretooth. If you cheap out now you'll be disappointed later.

Frys only had a display model for that msi, so i got the m5a99fx pro r2. Working great so far! Thanks for the input guys!

Back