• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, no POST :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Astug

TL;DR NO POST, MOBO says VGA, when removed, MOBO says "boot device" is the problem.

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but I've been a reader of the forum for quite a while now.

I recently bought new parts for my rig. These are:

i5 3570k
ASUS Maximus V Gene
Corsair HX750
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB
Scythe Mugen 3 PCGH Edition

The parts I did not replace as are:

ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2
1TB Samsung HDD, 2TB Seagate HDD
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

The computer starts up, all fans are working but I get no display.
No POST, so can't even get to bios.

The mobo leds tell me that it's the VGA, but when I take it out and try to start it with the onboard graphics the same thing happens and now the mobo tells me it's the "boot device".

No idea what that means.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Try booting with the HDD unconnected. The motherboard is posting, it's just having an issue somewhere down the line, and i would suggest just disconnecting whatever it says is the issue.

With the GPU removed and the HDMI / Display Port cable connected to the board, try resetting CMOS after removing power to the board and discharging the CAPs (hold the power button in for a few seconds to discharge, this after turning off / disconnecting the PSU).

Try booting with the HDD unconnected. The motherboard is posting, it's just having an issue somewhere down the line, and i would suggest just disconnecting whatever it says is the issue.

I disconnected the ssd and both hard drives. Still the same. No POST, the mobo led for "boot device" lights up.

Error code number is A2, which means IDE detected from when I can read in the manual.

With the GPU removed and the HDMI / Display Port cable connected to the board, try resetting CMOS after removing power to the board and discharging the CAPs (hold the power button in for a few seconds to discharge, this after turning off / disconnecting the PSU).

I don't have a display port cable at home and my monitor doesn't have an hdmi port sadly.

Could you explains what you mean in more steps maybe?

Turn off the PSU, hold the power button for a few seconds and then press the CMOS button? What does that do?

Last edited:
First turn off the PSU or remove the power plug, hold the power button in for a few seconds, then reset CMOS.

MAXIMUS V GENE - How to clear CMOS
http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...NE&s=39&hashedid=Eh8FqqcmVLDbZLyx&os=&no=1723

I tryed exactly this, nothing happens, nothing changes. :/

I've also removed 1 of 2 memory sticks and reseated 1 in a different slot. But still the same.

Though, I got a new error code this time d7: "No Console Input devices are found"

Just to verify, you have power going to the 8-pin EATX12V connector?

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 31
Just to verify, you have power going to the 8-pin EATX12V connector?

Yes, I do.

However, I forgot to mention something in the original post:

I put the CPU cooler on the CPU in the wrong direction and I had to take it off, turn it and put it back on. but in the end, nothing actually changed. So surely that couldn't be the cause, right?

I'd probably start from the beginning again, first by re-seating the CPU / HSF, and assembling the board outside the case w/ only the bare essentials connected. Make sure the board isn't attached to a MB tray, and no SSDs / HDDs / ODDs or PCI / PCIe cards installed except for the video card. Attach the keyboard and mouse, and install only 1 x DRAM module to the 1st DIMM slot.

I'd probably start from the beginning again, first by re-seating the CPU / HSF, and assembling the board outside the case w/ only the bare essentials connected. Make sure the board isn't attached to a MB tray, and no SSDs / HDDs / ODDs or PCI / PCIe cards installed except for the video card. Attach the keyboard and mouse, and install only 1 x DRAM module to the 1st DIMM slot.

I'll do that and report back. Though, should I remove the thermal paste that's currently on both the CPU and HSF and if so, how? Without damaging it.

Or just leave it on?

You don't necessarily need to remove it, but you'll need to at least re-spread it so it's again even and uniform. It will also be a good time for you to inspect the socket pins for damage,

You don't necessarily need to remove it, but you'll need to at least re-spread it so it's again even and uniform. It will also be a good time for you to inspect the socket pins for damage,

I just finished and still no POST. The only thing I can gather from the mobo is that the boot device led is on and the d7 error code appears.

I took the mobo out of my case, reseated the CPU and HSF, the thermal paste was/is perfectly spread.

Nothing was connected besides the 8 and 24 pin power connectors. Tryed with and without the video card.
I even tryed my old PSU, which has worked great for years, but no change.

I don't get it. :/

I'd say you got a DOA motherboard, pack er' up and send back... if you can... hopefully you can...

I just send a request for a DOA. I'll hear about it tomorrow. Should be fine.

Really weird stuff though, never had this happen and this is my 5th build (friends included).

Thanks guys.

Back