• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptainMalick

Registered
Hi guys,
I'm trying to think of how to upgrade my PC. My plan is to replace both mobo/CPU and GPU/PSU in the next 6 months. I was planning on doing one upgrade in a week or to, and the other in august or September. I wanted to hold out on GPU for 8k series, but i found out its just a rebrand of 7k so wouldnt be suprised if nvidia did it too, and even if they dont i dont want to wait until 2014 to buy a card. Anyways, i currently have a gtx 560 ti and a core i3 530, but im afraid that the hd 7950 will bottleneck the i3. I also dont want to upgrade my CPU just yet because of haswell release this summer. What do you guys recommend i do? Go for the card? Is it wise to get the 7950? (Can't always wait for something new to come out) Thanks

If you upgrade CPU, i suggest upgrade mb/cpu ( maybe ram too ? ) in the meantime.

I5 K + good MB + 8gb ~1600mhz ram = win :)

Then, a 7870 is a real good buying. At ~225$ this card is really hard to beat. What resolution you game on ?

I play on 1680x1050. So you recommend upgrading CPU now and GPU later? Do you know if haswell is going to be worth the wait? Because either way i cant upgrade all at once. Also, the reason i wanted the 7950 is because its recommended for BF4 which im planning on getting. I'm a sucker for graphics lol

Good plan on waiting for Haswell, I'd do the same. Personally, I'd just put money away and see what I had when Haswell comes out, do that first, and then worry about the card. Unless you're in a hurry to upgrade it. By then you'll probably have enough posts for the classifieds, and there's usually some good deals to be had there. The bottleneck with a 7950 and i3 will depend on title of the game, but I don't think it would be too severe.

^this.
Playing@1680x1050, the 560ti will do, not maxed out, but "eye candied" enough.

At that res, a 7950 wont be that better VS a 7870. You wont need the extra memory on the 7950. A 7870 could be a smarter buy.

I did'nt really pointed an order of upgrade. Your 560ti is still an OK card and an I3 is'nt that bad at gaming.

Whats the rest of your system ?

the rest is 8gb dd3 ram at 1333. Also, something i forgot to mention was the i3 is OCd to 3.6 ghz. I would try the classifieds once i have the posts, but to be honest, i'm kind of scared of buying used. Also, if i buy a GPU now, i can get crysis 3 free with the "Never Settle" thing. Do you guys think a 7870 would be enough to run crysis 3 and BF4 on max?

Ok. I think ill go for the 7870 unless anyone can convince me other wise at this point. Maybe with the money i save i can actually preorder BF4 now haha

Back