• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebrodma

Registered
Hi guys!!! It's me again... :D (Asking for the same) :chair: LOL

I was looking for some info about some CPU's and I found in some forums that i7-3770k, i5-3570k and i5-2500k are the best for gamers, but now I check and there's a lot of good things about AMD FX-8350... So, now I'm a little bit confuse with this :shrug:... I just want to play some games like Skyrim, Two Worlds 1&2 and other RPG Open World... So, for the CPU, which one is better? Not for the money, just for the quality and performance... I'm going to buy a HD7970 or HD7870, 8gb DDR3 1600, no OC and that's the most important info about my rig (I guess)...

Thanks for your help guys (and I'm sorry for ask the same, but I don't want t buy something that I need to change in a couple of months)!!!

I agree with all the posts above yep i5-3570k, but for a giggle there is this to think about! AJ. :D ;)

You know when i look at this it puts a big smile on my face for AMD! :p

AMD if your budget is below ~$600, anything above, Intel.

Literally there is no end to intel's power, just look at my syztum.

Even Intel's first gen i7 thrashes them.. So maybe a second hand system could be had for less?

As true as this is, you can get a current-gen Intel system for near-AMD prices.

This
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117288

Fits in almost all standard 1155 mobos, so you can get an i7-level IVB part without the iGPU (And HT of course, but dat Cache!) with a low-mid range mobo (Since its a locked part) for damn close to what an 8350 build would cost.. just sayin :D

For overclocking-friendly builds, the 3570k has gotten itself at a mighty dangerous price point, running as low as 199 when you know when to look.. I've always loved AMD but they are getting dogged on every front but APU at this point

Guess the Intel Fan Boys are for getting to tell some important info. AMD is gonna offer more long term Value. AMD tends to leave there socket set alone, with Intel, they always change it, So new CPU=New Motherboard. AMD=just the cpu.

My old AMD build with a 560ti card and the amd 6300 Still runs all the current games just fine. Yes, it even runs crysis 3 fine.

Now the AMD 8350 does run a bit hot, when I put this latest build together I put in liquid cooling.

Both AMD and Intel make a nice chip. Both chips will run games fine if you have a decent gpu.

With the AMD vs Intel, there is no clear winner. So far, Long term value goes to AMD. If you like changing around your gear allot, Intel may be your better choice. Replace the motherboard when you jump up the CPU.

With PC users on the decline, and more and more users going mobile, IMHO, don't think we are gonna see the jump in cpu speeds like we have in the past.

Guess the Intel Fan Boys are for getting to tell some important info. AMD is gonna offer more long term Value. AMD tends to leave there socket set alone, with Intel, they always change it, So new CPU=New Motherboard. AMD=just the cpu.

My old AMD build with a 560ti card and the amd 6300 Still runs all the current games just fine. Yes, it even runs crysis 3 fine.

Now the AMD 8350 does run a bit hot, when I put this latest build together I put in liquid cooling.

Both AMD and Intel make a nice chip. Both chips will run games fine if you have a decent gpu.

With the AMD vs Intel, there is no clear winner. So far, Long term value goes to AMD. If you like changing around your gear allot, Intel may be your better choice. Replace the motherboard when you jump up the CPU.

With PC users on the decline, and more and more users going mobile, IMHO, don't think we are gonna see the jump in cpu speeds like we have in the past.

Good job contradicting yourself, lol.

You said your previous AMD system runs Crysis 3 just fine.

So why would you need to change around your Intel build a lot? Since Intel processors are higher performing, surely you'd need to change them less?

You get what you pay for =P

Yes and no... AMD is also moving off AM3+ for its next gen IIRC(?). I'm not an AMD guy so I could be wrong. That said, for the most part, these CPUs are neck and neck with performance. In a couple of titles that can actually use more than 4 cores, which are rare, the AMD does beat out the Intel though. Otherwise real core for real cores its equal or Intel beats it out. Feel free to look up some benchmarks.

Note however, to support an FX8350 (octocore is my point) and overclocking, one needs a robust and generally more expensive mobo and cooling for that same level overclocks on Intel (say 4.5GHz)... so that adds up fast cutting down the pricing difference significantly.

Really, its a neck and neck thing for the most part. But I wouldnt worry about pricing or sockets personally. If that was a worry, Haswell is coming out in a couple of months on a new socket (for the record, this is 2 gens of CPUs on this socket for Intel), so if that is actually a concern for the OP, then perhaps he should wait for Haswell. :thup:

Well... Intel... If I need a huge cooler for AMD, I prefer an Intel CPU... I was using an AMD FX-4100 like 1 month ago and it was good for me, but I change it for an i3 2120 and an Intel MoBo and give it to my brother... Now I want a better PC without any upgrade for at least 2-3 years, so i5-3570k and HD7870/7970 will be enough, right? As I told you, at this moment I don't want any OC, but maybe I change my mind later...

Back