• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Writing on the case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

My idea for a mod is painting the case a silver chrome (mirror) and then putting a window in with a cold cathode inside. But, I also want to write something on the case. How would I do this so that it turns out...good?

You could etch it into the case, When you finish your Mirror like paint job (before clear coat) take some rough sand paper and scratch the writing in with big bold letters, so they wont have the mirror like finish. Then give it a few clear coats so it is nice and smooth. I have never tried this but i think it should work.

I'm a little hesitant about drawing the letters by myself. I think that would turn out bad. I couldn't find some high tech stencils (you know, this things that make you draw perfectly) for this? I have no artistic ability! :)

Here is a way to make some cool stencils. Print of the text onto some regular paper and glue it onto some heavy-duty cardboard (not corrugated) then using an X-Acto knife carefully cut the letters out. (Careful of letters like Os and Bs that have center parts, you will need to leave something attached to keep the center part(s) from falling out.;)

Another way to put writing on the case would be to put it on the window with an applique. You can make custom appliques by printing out your writing etc. onto a Large Clear Shipping Label.

Avery makes them:
http://www.avery.com/products/add_to_cart.jsp?upc=7278208665&catalog_code=WEB01

You can buy them at staples:
http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/SKU.asp?BCFlag=False&PageType=1&SKU=45759

Just be sure to print everything in reverse if you are going to put the applique on the inside of the window.

;)

there are markers that are metallic paint based. go to
your local Michaels or hobby store, they should have some
there and they should turn out OK.

a little less personal way to do it would be to go to your local sign shop, and have them cut you out some vinyl lettering, in what ever font you want, with the words you want (would cost me about $5-10 here)...then rub a little (JUST A LITTLE!!!) vaseline on the back of the vinyl, almost to the edge of the letter. Paint your first coat the color you want the letters, let it dry, and apply the letters to your case. Put a coat or 2 of the silver on, let it dry, then peel the vinyl off, wetsand, and clearcoat...

One thing I used to do when I was painting graphics on skateboards for friend's who wanted something different than what everyone else had. I used self-adhesive shelf paper, with a printed stencil on top. Using an X-Acto knife, I would cut out the design pretty much the same way Iron Hawk is describing, but the difference was that I didn't need to leave any pieces attached in letters like "O" , "P", "D", etc... all I had to do was remember where they went and stick them in the right spots, whip out ye olde can of spray paint, shoot the board, wait 5 mins for the paint to "skin", then peel off the shelf paper.

Go to your local walmart and go to the toys and whereeer they keep model kits they hae a nice little cheap airbrush kit .. its nothing professional but with patiants can do a REALLY nice job... just experiment on something with it first. Good luck :cool:

takiwa said:
a little less personal way to do it would be to go to your local sign shop, and have them cut you out some vinyl lettering, in what ever font you want, with the words you want (would cost me about $5-10 here)...then rub a little (JUST A LITTLE!!!) vaseline on the back of the vinyl, almost to the edge of the letter. Paint your first coat the color you want the letters, let it dry, and apply the letters to your case. Put a coat or 2 of the silver on, let it dry, then peel the vinyl off, wetsand, and clearcoat...
Did you do that to your case? It sounds like a great idea.

not to my case, but I have done a couple of other projects like this...it works pretty good, you just have to be sure the paint is 1) VERY dry before you peel the vinyl off, and 2) spray thin coats of paint...thicker ones tend to rip the edges of the paint when the vinyl comes up..

takiwa said:

This is a good idea. I think this is how I'll go about it. Thanks! :D

Back